Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DrunkIrishman

Cocaine is a helluva drug
It is now more necessary than at any other time for "regional" airlines to have different representation from ALPA. ALPA National's refusal to change will have devastating effects on "regional" pilots. Deregulation has finally caught up to the regional carriers and will cause deflation in compensation as well as instability in jobs. If we do not do something about this as a collectivce whole, all our futures will be quite bleak.

I write this not just to complain, but also to get us to think about the future. What will we do?

Lets see how the RJDC effort works out. Should know in another 12 to 24 months (hopefully).

ALPA is our best hope for restoring this industry. Unfortunately ALPA will not reform without brute force coercion. Rumors are the new ALPA administration may be even more anti small jet pilot than the previous administration was.

Anyone know if we could pass resoultions at the LEC level asking for a voluntary change in representational status rather than fight about decertification? I don't think it is a good idea to decertify ALPA, but in the interest of knowing what all the options are....

Lets see how the RJDC effort works out. Should know in another 12 to 24 months (hopefully).
I'll be glad when we finally put this dead dog to rest as well!

ALPA is our best hope for restoring this industry. Unfortunately ALPA will not reform without brute force coercion. Rumors are the new ALPA administration may be even more anti small jet pilot than the previous administration was.
You couldn't be more wrong, but that's become no surprise! Prater was at the latest national meeting, and impressed on everyone how "regionals" are an important part of ALPA and wants to change the ways of the past.

Anyone know if we could pass resoultions at the LEC level asking for a voluntary change in representational status rather than fight about decertification? I don't think it is a good idea to decertify ALPA, but in the interest of knowing what all the options are....
Fins:
You could always use the rjdc as your representation and see how that works!;)
BTW, for a guy that retired from the forum, you came back with a vengance! I think, in all fairness, you should retract your thread you started!

There is no such thing as job security at a regional. There are too many 50 seat RJs out there. At some point more and more will be out there sitting in the desert. Just hope you still have a seat when the music stops. There is nothing ALPA or any other union can do to stop majors from getting rid of a lot of the 50 seaters if they don't want them anymore. ALPA can't even stop the whipsaw game. We are all just here for the ride and hope that we survive this mess. I would hate to be any airline with only 50 seat RJs right now.

You couldn't be more wrong, but that's become no surprise! Prater was at the latest national meeting, and impressed on everyone how "regionals" are an important part of ALPA and wants to change the ways of the past.

BTW, for a guy that retired from the forum, you came back with a vengance! I think, in all fairness, you should retract your thread you started!

I hope you are right about ALPA. The moderator already whacked my thread.

BTW - the discussions on the regional board started getting better, more a discussion of facts and useful information. It may be a sign that many of us are giving up and trying to help each other get to a carrier with a good chance of still being around in five or ten years.

I would have stayed here if it wasn't for the attack from our own union. ALPA's position is that they benefit us by destroying our job, that we will get better jobs (quoting Duane Woerth from our family awareness dinner). Again, I hope that ALPA is right.

But looking at this from a "mainline" perspective inclusive scope is even more important. As 50 seaters go away and airlines merge there will be more pressure to put airplanes in the 100 seat class at small jet carriers. ALPA's scope record is horrible.

Last edited:

Brute force coercion? Hey Condi Rice..this isn't N. Korea.

Fins... perhaps you don't have the skill set to show ALPA National a win win solution. have you ever thought of that....

You want to pass me?

Don't point the gun unless you mean to shoot. IOW.. don't use scare threats of decertification unless you are ready to do it...

I think if the regional guys are savvy enough to decertify ALPA they would find themsleves in a world of hurt... out of the frying pan and into the fire voluntarily isn't too smart....

I do not like the idea of decert. either. I would rather create a new branch of ALPA that would be separate but equal. Call it RALPA if you want to, but something has to change.

There are several important questions to ask: what to change, what to change to, and how to change. ALPA has not asked any of these questions (that I am aware of).

Any other thoughts on change.

I was under the impression its difficult to impossible to get rid of a union. once they are on the property your basically stuck with em

I was under the impression its difficult to impossible to get rid of a union. once they are on the property your basically stuck with em

AMR, FedEx and CAL.. who dumped ALPA.

Interestingly, Fedex and CAL.... came back...

I almost wish you guys could be successful in this decertification idea just so you could see what a world of $*^% you would be in without ALPA. You would be crawling back within a year.

Latest resources

Back