New Law for Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALL ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS

In my infant stage of aviation I had the opportunity to fly with a crusty old captain that appeared to know every reg in the book.I saw this man make FAA guys wished they had chosen some other aircraft to ramp check. Of the things I learned from this man, here are three.

1. Make any official identify himself. (Federal,State,Local)
They are required to do so by law.

2. Never hand your ticket to anyone without the statement," I do not voluntarily surrender my certificate to you."

3. Have a witness.

One thing about crusty old captains, they really have seen it all and often have wise words. I'd say the previous post is no exception.

Skyward80

Right on about the "crusty old Captain".

So much of the interaction with the FAA depends on the inspector, and there are a number of them out there that are on an ego trip, power trip, whatever. I met an inspector the other day who is an examiner in a jet - he had no prior turbine time before his "training" - none.................:eek:

Watch yourself out there guys/gals...........

passion4flying said:
Has anybody heard of the new legislation passed Jan 24, 03, allowing the TSA to do a security check of everyone (mechanics, pilots, and the like) with a FAA license. Scuttlebut is that if you are deemed a security threat, TSA can recommend to the FAA that they pull your licenses. When the FAA takes your livelihood away your only recourse is back to the TSA (the people who took it in the first place). There is more to this, I am trying to see how well known this new security measure is known around the corporate industry. Let me know what you think. I believe that we need to know what the government can do to us and for what reasons. All discussion is welcome.

Passion

To get back to your question. The security check you are reffering to is for Pilots and Mech's that fall under 121 & 135 for the 10 year background check. I think the only Mech's that will fall under this are those who are in security risk areas. I think a corp. pilot may have to comply if you are on an airport that requires a badge, and that badge gives you unresticted access to the entire airport.

731Convert,

I don't think so. I believe that this is a security measure dealing with all pilots and mechanics in the United States. I am with a part 91 operator and my Director of Aviation brought this to our attention. 2000Flyer and information on this. I read the TSA information on it and they did not specify any kind of operator. Led me to believe it was for everybody.

Passion

I have heard about the new law. It empowers TSA to take your ticket. My understanding is that it actually gives TSA more power than the FAA.

From now on when I airline, OFF with the "crew" tags on my bags. That way they won't know I'm a pilot if i get a little lippy;) .

Recent post

This was discussed about two months back. Since then there has been certificate action taken against several pilots. I believe two didn't respond to the certificate action and two are fighting the certificate action.

I'm not sure where I read the story -- if it was an ALPA FastRead or an email from a friend w/ a news link, etc. If anyone else has seen the story, please post-it (I'm still looking).

Another topic: I was recently ramped and the FAA Inspector had his credentials on, i.e., he was wearing the badge. I did present my certificate and medical for inspection by laying it down on the counter in front of him. It wasn't intended to be confrontational, just easier as I was digging in my purse.......the end result was achieved. For an inspector to be out at 0215am, it was an (almost) pleasant experience.

This issue has been on several airline business websites and in magazines. AOPA an ALPA are fighting it, so maybe AOPA has it on their website.
In short: TSA has made it into law (without going through congress!) that it has the right to confiscate a pilots license if they deem this pilot a security risk. The pilots name has to be on a list of people suspected of terrorist activities. Here comes the scary part: everybody can call the TSA, FBI or other law enforcement agency and tell them that they suspect someone. This person comes on the list and if you're a pilot, they can take your ticket. Of course you want to fight it, which is your right, but this list is a secret list, and nobody has access to it, not even a lawyer. In other words: you can't defend yourself.
This is as it was published in January. I've heard they have changed the appeal process a little. I don't think they have changed the way how you get on the list. So watch out for people who really hate you....

This bulls*** (and, mind you, that is exactly what this whole matter is) reminds me of two things. 1) The Salem witch hunts/"trials", and 2) the rise of McCarthyism and the hunt for communists in Post-WWII America. I have no doubt that eventually this new law will be exposed for all of its idiocy and the pendulum will swing the other direction. However, until that time comes about, this is a truly scary development.

Skyward80

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back