New Job... F9-Frontier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sluggo

When is the best time to start looking for a new job when your airline isn't pulling it off. As in Frontier Airlines. Is it best to go down with the ship and ride it out, then collect unemployment, then get a new job?

Or is it best to get out early if all the signs are there? Just wondering what the best plan is.

Last edited:
Depends on whether you want to be junior or senior at your next airline.

We have alot of Independence Air guys over here at Airtran. Alot of them rode all the way to the end at Indy before for looking for new jobs. Some of the people that left Indy quicker will upgrade 2 or 3 years earlier at Airtran just by getting to Airtran a year quicker than their friends.

When is the best time to start looking for a new job when your airline isn't pulling it off. As in Frontier Airlines. Is it best to go down with the ship and ride it out, then collect unemployment, then get a new job?

Or is it best to get out early if all the signs are there? Just wondering what the best plan is.

Find good alternatives in terms of starting salaries elsewhere (Netjets, Flexjet, Cathay Cargo, etc.) and go ahead and apply. Why not? If you leave early, the salary differential won't be too bad. I agree that is is better to get a slight head start if your GUT tells you that you should bail.

Collect good information about your current situation first - don't rely on the rumors found on this board.

In my opinion, this is not a sinking ship at all. We may be in shark infested waters at the moment, but we are not sinking. It would take a lot higher losses per quarter to get us into bankruptcy this year. The load factor is up, the rasm is up, casm(ex fuel) is down. Though not to be taken lightly, fuel is the only wrench in our system.

Our biggest threat would probably be a merger/buy-out and we'll see if that plays out or not...

Just man your battle stations and keep your eye on the ball......

Though not to be taken lightly, fuel is the only wrench in our system.

I think you are marginalizing exactly how big of an issue fuel is.

Doesn't fuel account for the highest cost at every airline now?

Isn't the price of fuel sparking industry-changing consolidation as we speak?

If fuel is, in fact, your "only wrench" (we won't even talk about SWA rolling into DEN)...it's one hell of a big wrench, my man.

Last edited:
pro active is always better than reactive

I agree, a proactive strategy is probably the best plan. 121 jobs can take up to a year to get if your not well connected. I want to play my cards right and make the best decision possible to protect myself and family. There is a correct strategy. My concern is, which is the best... It seems obvious to target the companies that one is most interested in and wait it out & see what happens at F9. I'm sure some of you are dealing with similar decisions at other airlines... What are some of your plans and how are you reacting?? Thanks

it's one hell of a big wrench, my man.

I'll restate it a different way - fuel is the 'one' wrench that is causing us problems. I didn't mean to marginalize it because you're right- it is a big wrench and if fuel goes sky high then of course the wrench gets bigger.

Southwest? We seem to be competing well against them for now. I'm more worried about the fuel and a buyout scenario than wether they will put us out of business.

find the place that gives you the right balance,of family time,prosperity, and professional satisfaction, and pursue it with a laser like focus, just follow your gut. best of luck !

Latest resources

Back