Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingSig

Double Breasted _ _ _
In regards to how much pilots are paid vs. other employees are paid in a discussion with management's lawyer at yesterday's hearing:

"Well, I'm trying to say something to you. If you're going to tell me that the person that's standing atthe counter collecting baggage checks is as important as thepilot that's flying the plane, then you and I have differencein values. "

Amazing. Well, I still think we should all get some sort of pay cuts, but not one group mainly getting the brunt of it. We'll see.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Amazing. Well, I still think we should all get some sort of pay cuts

Dang General, don't beg for the cuts. :)

Maybe she's finally coming around.

What kind of staffing levels are the suits asking for? I'm hoping an agreement can be reached where any 100 seater winds up at mainline -- regardless of the pay. Otherwise, there may be more furloughs if DL starts dropping leases like NW is doing (and UAL did.)

Good luck guys.

GogglesPisano said:
Maybe she's finally coming around.

What kind of staffing levels are the suits asking for? I'm hoping an agreement can be reached where any 100 seater winds up at mainline -- regardless of the pay. Otherwise, there may be more furloughs if DL starts dropping leases like NW is doing (and UAL did.)

Good luck guys.

Well, we are still sort of short thanks to the 2300 Captain retirements over the last year or so. Parking some planes could reduce that need, but apparently some of the 737-200s we were going to park came back with some GREAT deals, like $15,000 a month in leases (compared to $285,000 a month for some of the MD88s, and compare that with some of the 737-800 rates of only $125,000 a month). And, I have heard that the current lease rate talks have been going well.

As far as getting the 100 seat rates, we want a rate and a guarantee we will order some, since we already have rates for the 737-700 and -900, but with none on order. We also are trying to get the 79 seaters on property, but that may be a bit tougher. Even the judge asked the Delta lawyer why the Delta pilots couldn't fly the 79 seaters? To which he replied "the benefits package would make it too expensive" (even though the company pretty much wanted to throw out all of our benefits with this 1113c hearing). The judge responded that Dalpa did not have to give it to them for free, and will assign it a monetary value. I know we have a bid in for those 79 seaters too, so it will be interesting to see if in the end we do get them also. It will be more expensive for Delta now to get scope back, thanks to the judge. We will see I guess.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

What is the bid for the 79 seater? I'm just trying to adjust my expectations for the concessions ASA will have to take if General, GooglesPisano and their friends succeed in "getting scope back," "no matter what it pays."

I'm glad General made it clear that his MEC did not sell scope and isn't now trying to buy it back. To observers like me it appears that the Judge wants a value assigned to that flying and I was getting confused - but General and friends have made it clear - if Delta awards flying to Comair pilots then the Comair pilots "stole" the flying. But, if the Delta MEC negotiates rates lower than Comair pilots to get airplanes on their property "at any cost" that isn't stealing, whipsaw, or bad faith dealing by ALPA.

My friends who work with ILFC are saying the 787 will be a revolutionary airplane. Point to point makes a lot of sense on longer International flights. General, if I were you, I would be focused on the other end of your code share. Hasn't ALPA spent enough negotiating capital trying to enforce Duane Woerth's arbitrary 70 seat line in the sand?

I hope with Delta's fleet numbers staying up that some of the excellent pilots I have had the pleasure of flying with on the DCI side return to their jobs at Delta, at pay rates that make these jobs worth returning to.

Last edited:
General Lee said:
We also are trying to get the 79 seaters on property, but that may be a bit tougher. Even the judge asked the Delta lawyer why the Delta pilots couldn't fly the 79 seaters?

spoke to an MEC officer today. The MEC feels without dissent that anything over 70 seats should be flown by Delta pilots.

~~~^~~~ said:
What is the bid for the 79 seater? I'm just trying to adjust my expectations for the concessions ASA will have to take if General, GooglesPisano and their friends succeed in "getting scope back," "no matter what it pays."

That's Goggles, thank-you very much.

BTW, I don't work for Delta. But I do believe all Delta flying belongs to Delta Airlines seniority list pilots. They may choose to allow Delta to contract out less desirable flying on less desirable aircraft, but there has to be a limit -- especially with guys on furlough.

And before you respond -- yes I do have CRJ's in my past. But I never salivated at the thought of mainline shrinking so that my regional could get bigger RJ's.

~~~^~~~ said:

I'm glad General made it clear that his MEC did not sell scope and isn't now trying to buy it back. To observers like me it appears that the Judge wants a value assigned to that flying and I was getting confused - but General and friends have made it if Delta awards flying to Comair pilots then the Comair pilots "stole" the flying. But, if the Delta MEC negotiates rates lower than Comair pilots to get airplanes on their property "at any cost" that isn't stealing, whipsaw, or bad faith dealing by ALPA.

My friends who work with ILFC are saying the 787 will be a revolutionary airplane. Point to point makes a lot of sense on longer International flights. General, if I were you, I would be focused on the other end of your code share. Hasn't ALPA spent enough negotiating capital trying to enforce Duane Woerth's arbitrary 70 seat line in the sand?

I hope with Delta's fleet numbers staying up that some of the excellent pilots I have had the pleasure of flying with on the DCI side return to their jobs at Delta, at pay rates that make these jobs worth returning to.

Fins,

And again, we are happy that you guys at ASA offered our furloughs a job. That was nice and I hope we reciprocate someday. As far as the pay rates for 79 seaters or 100 seaters, they would probably be more than current 70 seat rates, that just makes sense. We are currently competing with the new 100 seat rates from Jetblue, since they have somehow turned into the current benchmark. Dalpa will have to balance our want of higher pay with the current competitve pay rates at other airlines. AWA/USAir just gave a tad bit higher 100 seat rate for their eventual E190s, so that is encouraging.
This is pure speculation because I am not a negotiator. Also, the judge agreed that code share scope is also NOT free for Delta. (remember the 6 things they wanted for free---and her response to code share, block hours, and 79 set jets?)

As far as the 787s, I hope someday we get some. I have an article to prove that we are already interested, although probably don't have the credit currently.

By JAMES WALLACE
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER AEROSPACE REPORTER

After a two-day 787 "summit" in Seattle with about 140 airline customers, financial institutions and supplier partners, The Boeing Co. revealed several improvements Thursday to its Dreamliner.

The new jet will have an inch more cabin width and a stretched version of the plane will have more range.

One of the customers at the Boeing meeting, Delta Air Lines, the nation's third-largest carrier, is considering the 787 to replace its large fleet of 767s, said Ed Lohr, director of fleet strategy for Delta.

We'll see. We need to get through this really TURBULENT time right now, and scope is very very important.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back