• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New C-130 Vol 3

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doesn't a star (within the pub) and the list in the summary of revisions (front of AFI) cover what the updates and changes to previous editions?

McGillicutty stated:
Doesn't a star (within the pub) and the list in the summary of revisions (front of AFI) cover what the updates and changes to previous editions?

I'll take your word for it. I'm too lazy to look it up, too.;)

Hmm maybe...I read that gloves are "reccomended", is that new do we not have to wear em now?

Nothing new on gloves. 1 Apr 2000 11-2c-130V3 says you have to have gloves in your possession, but wearing them is only "recommended" during start, takeoff, and landing. I'm not sure if it has changed to something new with the new vol 3 though.

Reminds me of someone who, back when gloves were required during start, t/o, and landing, used to fly with his gloves tucked under the top of his headset. His point was that gloves were required to be worn; the reg didn't say where they were to be worn.

Yeah it has always said that, looking back. I would bet all your chapter 10's, like mine, say they are required.

Gloves - Why?

What is the deal with "requiring" guys to wear gloves in a heavy? KC-135s have the same "recommended, but mandatory" bent I think. How many airliner's (cargo or pax) require their pilots to wear gloves? How many USAF strat air platforms require gloves to be worn? (I think zero is the answer to both questions) Anyone watch the 777 test footage from a few years back where John Cashman, 777 Chief Test Pilot, does the first takeoff in a brand new airplane or does the MGTOW abort test where they intentionally abort at MGTOW and Max Speed to light the brakes on fire to verify for certification that the fire doesn't spread out of the wheel well for 5 minutes? Did you see what he was wearing? Polyester short sleeved shirt...
Now, if you want to wear them, fine, have at it. It certainly isn't a bad idea. But, to require it, I just don't get it. Seems like an old paradigm that is limited to the -13X part of the heavy world. If the reason is for fire protection (like in fighters maybe) I don't buy it because that plastic headset you're wearing is probably going to melt down into your collar first. If it is to protect your hands from the rope when jumping out of the window, I'll keep them in my "possession" for that rare occurence or use the same faith as John Cashman. If gloves are so important, why aren't they issued to every passenger that gets on a C-130 or KC-135?

I know, probably too many words on a lame subject but I'm just curious if anyone else from the -130 or -135 world agrees. Thoughts?

Doesn't hurt anything to wear them. It's required in AFSOC for takeoffs, landings, and in combat. After so many years, I'm used to them and I rarely take them off in flight at all, except on long cross country trips at altitude. Besides, ask any AC who's burned the crap out of his fingers on a hot starter button or a copilot by accidently touching the hydraulic pump lights if they mind wearing gloves!

And you let just ONE guy burn his hands somehow and lose a duty day and it becomes "Hey, what can we do as the leadership to protect our guys and not lose valuable people to minor injuries?" "I know! Let's MAKE them wear gloves...no skin of our noses!" And lo and behold, it's an AFI.

Latest resources

Back