• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New AAI ALPA Strategy: Fire SWA Haters!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't get us wrong, we're very thankful to your mgmt for the airline they've created and grown as well as given you the contract you enjoy.

Interesting.

What about the pilot group's contributions in building Southwest Airlines?

What about the pilot group's contributions in building Southwest Airlines?

that 10 year contract was HUGE for all involved.

Very well put flycatcher, but the end statement is the confusing part for me and maybe some others. The deal is already bettering the company. Traffic has been increased because of AT. Aircraft deliveries are increasing because of AT. Listen to Mr. Kelly's hotline message about our international flying. It seems to be helping out in many ways as far as being profitable and forging the future for SWA going international.

I don't doubt that this acquisition holds much potential. But to say that there is already empirical evidence of betterment is probably premature. And yes, Mr. Kelly is touting the positives, to be sure, but would we expect anything else? He is not one to report any of the negative bullet points in his hotline, or anywhere publicly.

There doesn't seem to be anything negative for the company from this deal.

I assume you mean outside of the considerable debt, outside of the difficulties and expenses in assimilating two different operations, outside of the difficulties in merging the union groups of two different companies, etc. Not saying there aren't many potential positives, but it is an extreme oversimplification to make the claim you just did.

I could go on and on, but every one of these things don't seem to matter to some, (Airtran and Southwest pilots alike) the big picture should show that all of this, deliveries, international, hiring, upgrades, etc. is a beneficial byproduct for all the pilots and employees. We are going to have to get past this ME ME ME mentality. What's in it for you?

You make a good point, but please don't think that most folks here are unaware or uncaring about the big picture of betterment for Southwest Airlines from this deal. Just remember that the long-term good from the acquisition will not be seen for many moons, and in fact is yet to even be a certain reality. Not every acquisition ends up being a great deal.

As for the personal reactions of the pilots, any negativity you see is only a fear of immediately detrimental slowdown of career progression, something that folks here have already been dealt twice (from retirement age changes, and from economic slowdown).

I don't want to step on anyone's toes to get there, but no matter where I fall on the seniority list I will, because some people will always feel that we were "acquired not hired." To those people I have to say, get over yourselves "super pilots." Mergers are a circumstance in any industry, and in our industry we need to set the example, and not go down the same road the USAirways/AWA pilots have.

Actually, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that you will be accepted on property with quite a bit of genuine welcome. Where you might see some vitriol in regards to attitudes directed at AAI guys might be in th case that a former AAI guy shows a lousy attitude regarding the SLI, or perhaps making poor remarks as to how SWA does things. In those cases, I can see SWA guys looking negatively at those instances, especially since this isn't a simple "merger", as you put it. But overall, being cautiously optimistic that the SLI will go appropriately, I think you can expect a welcoming group. And I know you can expect a wonderful career working as a SWA pilot, because this job is absolutely incredible, from the schedule, to the benefits, to the pay, to (most of all) how this company takes care of its folks.

Last edited:
And I know you can expect a wonderful career working as a SWA pilot, because this job is absolutely incredible, from the schedule, to the benefits, to the pay, to (most of all) how this company takes care of its folks.

I like it!!!!!!! :)

I don't doubt that this acquisition holds much potential. But to say that there is already empirical evidence of betterment is probably premature. And yes, Mr. Kelly is touting the positives, to be sure, but would we expect anything else? He is not one to report any of the negative bullet points in his hotline, or anywhere publicly.

I assume you mean outside of the considerable debt, outside of the difficulties and expenses in assimilating two different operations, outside of the difficulties in merging the union groups of two different companies, etc. Not saying there aren't many potential positives, but it is an extreme oversimplification to make the claim you just did.

You make a good point, but please don't think that most folks here are unaware or uncaring about the big picture of betterment for Southwest Airlines from this deal. Just remember that the long-term good from the acquisition will not be seen for many moons, and in fact is yet to even be a certain reality. Not every acquisition ends up being a great deal.

As for the personal reactions of the pilots, any negativity you see is only a fear of immediately detrimental slowdown of career progression, something that folks here have already been dealt twice (from retirement age changes, and from economic slowdown).

Actually, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that you will be accepted on property with quite a bit of genuine welcome. Where you might see some vitriol in regards to attitudes directed at AAI guys might be in th case that a former AAI guy shows a lousy attitude regarding the SLI, or perhaps making poor remarks as to how SWA does things. In those cases, I can see SWA guys looking negatively at those instances, especially since this isn't a simple "merger", as you put it. But overall, being cautiously optimistic that the SLI will go appropriately, I think you can expect a welcoming group. And I know you can expect a wonderful career working as a SWA pilot, because this job is absolutely incredible, from the schedule, to the benefits, to the pay, to (most of all) how this company takes care of its folks.

Good post, looking forward to becoming part of the team.

Latest resources

Back