• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New 737's.. Why no nose gear lights?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do the retractable lights have a maximum extension speed?

No, but they have a maximun taxi speed.:D

I flew with a wise old captain who had just had his last PC. He mentioned our 30 knot taxi limitation and explained: "You, what a lot of people don't understand is that it's the same as in the air - plus or minus ten knots...."

The lights were moved from the Flap track Fairing to the Wing to Body Fairing on the NG for the purpose of increasing bulb life. There is 10 times the vibration at the Flap track than the new location.

This is fact. I personally conducted the FAA Certification tests on the new location back in 1997.

The lights were moved from the Flap track Fairing to the Wing to Body Fairing on the NG for the purpose of increasing bulb life. There is 10 times the vibration at the Flap track than the new location.

This is fact. I personally conducted the FAA Certification tests on the new location back in 1997.

I'm not particularly familiar with the light systems of the 737, but is there no place on the wing leading edge where lights could be mounted without some complicated (i.e. moving parts) system?

At other Airlines I worked for we used the nose taxi light for takeoff and landing clearances. Southwest teaches not to use it for anything other than taxi/ground operations. When I got into the left seat I started using it again as a mental reminder and was asked during a sim debrief why I was using it. I told the instructor it was a saftey issue plus I am old and cant see as well as when I was younger. That was the end of that discussion. :)

Latest resources

Back