• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Networking

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All true in my experiences - for better or worse, flying is one of the most "good-ol'-boy-network" dependant industries around. Knowing someone typically seems to get one the interview, and personality tends to get them through it - far more so than flying ability or experience. This seems totally counterintuitive to the way things ought to be, but seems to simply be the way it is. . .

Just to Reiterate

The important thing is like has been said, don't consider yourself having a network if the only time you talk to someone is when you need a job. I have been blown away by all the friends that have contacted me over the last couple of years looking for a new job since the furlough notice came, just be a friend in the full sense of the word and they will gladly help out.

As for me, my first six jobs (yes six, this is not a quick industry) were all because of who I knew, my present job was without any help except for the experience gained from the jobs I had connections to get.

Last edited:
I don't have a job, but I definately am set for when I get more hours. I got this opportunity through networking. When I was getting my private, I used to just hang at the airport all day and talk to everybody. I met a guy who flies a Navajo and started riding with him before I even got my private. I still fly with him and now I fly the 421 with him as well. So, that's how I got in it.

Just one word of advice.....worth what you are paying...

When you have letters of rec, you need to make sure that the person writing the letter is in good standing with the company. One sure "kiss of death" is to have a letter of rec in hand from a troublemaker.

So, when you meet people from the same company, ask them if they know the person. If you are met with several strange looks or not positive answers, then assume that is not the person to use on a letter of rec.

I agree with most everyone up here. It has been my experience that all of my interviews and opportunities have come from networking and knowing someone. You have to make it happen for yourself and that sometimes means going and meeting someone. If you do not know someone at the place you really want to work, go there and get known. Of course, there is a fine line between introducing yourself and annoying the heck out of people. But, the overall point is that you need to make it happen for yourself to some degree.

Latest resources

Back