• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Unrest Puts Warren Buffett in a Rare Pinch

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not saying it does not have anything to do with WB. I do not know whether it does -- but I know I did not say it. The point I was trying to make is that for months (or years) I have read so much on this site about how afraid WB is of negative publicity. The conclusion is that since he is "so scared" the union has leverage. All I am posing is "what if he is not all that scared of negative publicity??" Well -- the negative publicity "cat is now out of the bag".

Flightsafety has plenty of demand for their slots, so I don't see a big negative impact if NJ were sold. I also don't see Buffett being concerned about that small impact. If he wants to sell it he will. For the record, I don't think a sale is likely at this point.

At the end of the day, Netjets is a very small part of the BRK porfolio.

If we continue to play stupid games...we all will win stupid prizes!

This needs to be brought a close, NOW!!

Sooooo I've got an interview scheduled. How sound of a career move would this be? Any while your at it some winning lotto numbers would be great too

Sooooo I've got an interview scheduled. How sound of a career move would this be? Any while your at it some winning lotto numbers would be great too

Rumor has it a couple of days after Netjets announced we were hiring, the website collapsed due to traffic.

Great place to work, good company, lots of potential provided the union and management get along

Last edited:
At the end of the day, Netjets is a very small part of the BRK porfolio.

If we continue to play stupid games...we all will win stupid prizes!

This needs to be brought a close, NOW!!

I keep hearing how we're just a small part of the BH portfolio. Just a pimple on a knat's a**.

So what? Who cares? Small things can create big waves and even bigger problems. A pimple could actually be a cancer that if just ignored could create large problems for the rest of the body later on.

End it now? Uhhhhhh, okay, I'm all for that. Would you mind telling me how we do that without taking it in the shorts? You don't seriously believe that if we stop all the union activity that JH will just pony up to the negotiating table and say, "Thanks boys. This was all just a misunderstanding. I didn't really want concessions from you. Now we can sit and talk like adults and work out a nice compromise.". So what do you think the end result will be if we let up on the pressure? Seriously, I'm all ears as to how you think this would play out.

As for BH selling us, again, so what? That could be a negative thing, but not necessarily. Depends on who buys us. I'm not all that worried about a BH sale of us right now.

Besides, good luck to BH selling a company that's in extremely contentious negotiations with FOUR unionized labor groups! What will the sales pitch be? "Do you like angry employees? Enamored with the thought of a strike? Ready to lose millions (maybe billions) while fielding complaints and lawsuits from the richest and most powerful people and companies in the world? Then boy do we have the company for you! Come on down to Crazy Warren's profit center and we'll cut you a great deal!".

The prospect I find most possible (but I don't think it's very likely) is BH just winding us down. They could. But I'm not going to worry about it until they shut our sales department down. Every day they sell another share is a five year extension to NJA's life.

Meanwhile, if we want any chance of a good contract we need to increase the pressure on JH and BH any and every way we can. Looking forward to walking in Omaha in May!

One thing is certain, none of us have seen how WB will react to such "bad" PR, as he approaches the end of days. Sell, stay or fold? Either way we shouldn't fear it, we should enjoy the "game" as it plays out. We are seeing history, as it pertains to WB's running one of his businesses, and let there be no doubt "his team" is in fact directing ALL aspects of the company.

As for folding, this seems to be the least likely option.

1) flow of new metal increasing
2) increasing sales (new and existing aircraft)
3) increasing staffing

Not typical benchmarks for a company to be shut down. If he in fact chose to do this it would still mean pilots would be needed for quite sometime to fly out the contracts, not too mention planes being sold, still need crews to fly them and demand for those planes is evident.

So what's to fear exactly? Not much from where I'm sitting. Over the past year I've been turning down jobs left and right, instead I'm sticking around to see this all unfold. It can be fun to participate in historical events.

I keep hearing how we're just a small part of the BH portfolio. Just a pimple on a knat's a**.

...Would you mind telling me how we do that without taking it in the shorts? You don't seriously believe that if we stop all the union activity that JH will just pony up to the negotiating table and say, "Thanks boys. This was all just a misunderstanding. I didn't really want concessions from you. Now we can sit and talk like adults and work out a nice compromise.". So what do you think the end result will be if we let up on the pressure? Seriously, I'm all ears as to how you think this would play out....

Yes. This. Remember, this is what the Recall was all about. Getting JH's (or the Twinky Dinks) boys in place to "play along to get along" and look what happened. They will play games until we make them negotiate in good faith.

The rest of your quote was spot on also.

He sure doesn't like bad press and had enough sycophants in the media to assure he didn't get any. Social Media has changed things as much as he tries to outlaw it.

I expect to see 19th Century anti-union railway violence on his part. The message board infiltration harkens back to The Molly Maguires.

You GOTTA be KIDDING.

Latest resources

Back