• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets Recalls!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Realityman, so do you no longer feel that NJA is a career destination?

No.

I'm 44. My seniority is in the mid-100's. And I am preparing to send out some apps.

In truth, even if I get an interview, or a job offer, somewhere else, it won't be an easy decision. I have a young family and all the usual bills. Starting over, even at a legacy, would be very difficult. After all, NJA isn't a total crap job yet, but it appears to be heading that way. Looking beyond the immediate "What kind of job is it right now?", I prefer a longer range view of "What kind of job is it going to be in 5, 10, and 15 years?". The trends don't look good, so even with difficulty of starting over it may be worth it, depending on the carrier.

Most probably, due to my age and current lifestyle, I'm probably stuck here. And it's possible we can turn NJA back into a great job. I'm ready to fight! But during the fight it's really going to suck here.

So, I don't believe that NJA is a career job, but it's possible it could change.

I say congrats to the recalled! Come back, get a shiny new type rating or at least get current, and find yourselves a better job while flying here. Good luck to you!

No.

I'm 44. My seniority is in the mid-100's. And I am preparing to send out some apps.

In truth, even if I get an interview, or a job offer, somewhere else, it won't be an easy decision. I have a young family and all the usual bills. Starting over, even at a legacy, would be very difficult. After all, NJA isn't a total crap job yet, but it appears to be heading that way. Looking beyond the immediate "What kind of job is it right now?", I prefer a longer range view of "What kind of job is it going to be in 5, 10, and 15 years?". The trends don't look good, so even with difficulty of starting over it may be worth it, depending on the carrier.

Most probably, due to my age and current lifestyle, I'm probably stuck here. And it's possible we can turn NJA back into a great job. I'm ready to fight! But during the fight it's really going to suck here.

So, I don't believe that NJA is a career job, but it's possible it could change.

I say congrats to the recalled! Come back, get a shiny new type rating or at least get current, and find yourselves a better job while flying here. Good luck to you!
It wasn't that long before the furlough that I was approached by MANY United FO's asking how they could get on with NETJETS. UAL was going down the toilet rapidly and they wanted out. Point being, the only certainty with aviation is change. Things could get worse or they could get better. Giving up your seniority that high up the list would take some serious stones.

Stepping back and getting away from aviation for the last 4 years has given me a pretty decent perspective on life. I bitched and complained about the regional life until I got out. I thought flying a 747 around the world would be what I wanted.....NOPE. I got to Net Jets and immediately loved that kind of flying. Sitting out of aviation for this long has given me a new appreciation for flying. I know NetJets isn't what it was, but your making 150kish/yr not having to commute to work. You have probably worked at NJ most of your career to be that high up and so young. Life isn't always greener on the other side!!! I would love to show you the scars on my hands from the last 4 years of plumbing. Like you, I make good money, but I'm burned out and ready to put it in my rear view mirror. Not busting your chops, but just hoping you don't make a mistake you might regret.

Can't wait to get back and help make NJ a career gig again!!

Cheers

No.

I couldn't imagine you would want to leave with a sub 200 seniority number! I couldn't imagine having five 21 day paid vacations ! I would hold on to that and never let go.

I couldn't imagine you would want to leave with a sub 200 seniority number! I couldn't imagine having five 21 day paid vacations ! I would hold on to that and never let go.

We don't get 5 vacation periods, but I would agree with the rest.

It wasn't that long before the furlough that I was approached by MANY United FO's asking how they could get on with NETJETS. UAL was going down the toilet rapidly and they wanted out. Point being, the only certainty with aviation is change. Things could get worse or they could get better. Giving up your seniority that high up the list would take some serious stones.

Stepping back and getting away from aviation for the last 4 years has given me a pretty decent perspective on life. I bitched and complained about the regional life until I got out. I thought flying a 747 around the world would be what I wanted.....NOPE. I got to Net Jets and immediately loved that kind of flying. Sitting out of aviation for this long has given me a new appreciation for flying. I know NetJets isn't what it was, but your making 150kish/yr not having to commute to work. You have probably worked at NJ most of your career to be that high up and so young. Life isn't always greener on the other side!!! I would love to show you the scars on my hands from the last 4 years of plumbing. Like you, I make good money, but I'm burned out and ready to put it in my rear view mirror. Not busting your chops, but just hoping you don't make a mistake you might regret.

Can't wait to get back and help make NJ a career gig again!!

Cheers

I agree with every single thing you wrote. And I have given a lot of thought to all of it in the past few months.

The most profound part of what you wrote centers around the uncertainty in this industry. The grass isn't always greener. Or, sometimes it is, but doesn't remain that way.

Again, I try to look a little into the future. I'm just not certain Netjets has a future. A great seniority number at a company that's out of business doesn't help me or my family much.

I don't believe it's all doom and gloom. But the future here has become cloudy enough that it wouldn't be smart to fail to at least consider alternatives. Starting over now would be hard. Starting over in 7 or 8 years will be ridiculously hard.

This job could be great. It will take a strongly motivated and unified pilot force and union leadership to make it so. For now, I've seen neither. With our current union leadership it is NEVER going to happen. And in conjunction with all of that it will require a company CEO with vision passion for this company. Sadly, that's also missing from the current equation. Then there's Buffet. In his 80's and despite what some think, probably not giving too much thought about Netjets these days. And when he's gone, whoever his replacement is may care even less about us. That's a whole heaping pile of uncertainty at this point!

Management, both company and union, comes and goes pretty regularly. Yes, things will change. I have not decided to leave. But I have decided that I need to create more options for myself than I previously had.

Again, incredibly happy to see some furloughed folks return! Welcome back! But if I was younger and having been put through what you've already been through, I'd take this as an opportunity to look for better employment while bringing in a paycheck. Netjets may be (on paper) making boatloads of money right now, but trends are pointing strongly in a negative direction for this company in the future. All this money we're supposedly making and we're still shrinking? Hmmmmm...........

Welcome back! Good luck! And you'll see exactly what I'm talking about when you get out on the road. I for one will not be saying anything to anyone while paired with them to bring them down. I prefer more positive vibes on my tours. But I ask that everyone who comes back simply keep your eyes and ears open. See what's going on. Listen to our clients. Especially management's actions vs. words. It's very enlightening! And worrisome.

It's 4 vacation periods. And each is 7 days.

Good vacation to be sure!

But there's a much bigger picture to look at.

I agree with every single thing you wrote. And I have given a lot of thought to all of it in the past few months.

The most profound part of what you wrote centers around the uncertainty in this industry. The grass isn't always greener. Or, sometimes it is, but doesn't remain that way.

Again, I try to look a little into the future. I'm just not certain Netjets has a future. A great seniority number at a company that's out of business doesn't help me or my family much.

I don't believe it's all doom and gloom. But the future here has become cloudy enough that it wouldn't be smart to fail to at least consider alternatives. Starting over now would be hard. Starting over in 7 or 8 years will be ridiculously hard.

This job could be great. It will take a strongly motivated and unified pilot force and union leadership to make it so. For now, I've seen neither. With our current union leadership it is NEVER going to happen. And in conjunction with all of that it will require a company CEO with vision passion for this company. Sadly, that's also missing from the current equation. Then there's Buffet. In his 80's and despite what some think, probably not giving too much thought about Netjets these days. And when he's gone, whoever his replacement is may care even less about us. That's a whole heaping pile of uncertainty at this point!

Management, both company and union, comes and goes pretty regularly. Yes, things will change. I have not decided to leave. But I have decided that I need to create more options for myself than I previously had.

Again, incredibly happy to see some furloughed folks return! Welcome back! But if I was younger and having been put through what you've already been through, I'd take this as an opportunity to look for better employment while bringing in a paycheck. Netjets may be (on paper) making boatloads of money right now, but trends are pointing strongly in a negative direction for this company in the future. All this money we're supposedly making and we're still shrinking? Hmmmmm...........

Welcome back! Good luck! And you'll see exactly what I'm talking about when you get out on the road. I for one will not be saying anything to anyone while paired with them to bring them down. I prefer more positive vibes on my tours. But I ask that everyone who comes back simply keep your eyes and ears open. See what's going on. Listen to our clients. Especially management's actions vs. words. It's very enlightening! And worrisome.
Very smart decision on your part to keep all options open. I realized after the furlough, that I needed to find something away from this revolving circus. Having timed the hiring cycles poorly, I figured I needed to find something else for when the next furlough comes. After 4 long years, I am finally qualified and ready to go get my contractors license here in CA. I'm finishing a masters as well, so I've been so ridiculously busy I'm ready to come back to NetJets and take a break!!!;-)

Last edited:
I agree with Buffets concern or lack of for NJA.... For his empire it is a very very small portion, and after the DS incident, probably just a huge pain in the rear... While the pilots deserve more $$ and QOL, I'm afraid that the methods usually used to get there (labor unrest etc) may just be the type of tipping point for Buffet or his successor to just rid themselves of the whole thing..

Unlike airlines, which are nearly an essential part of the US economy, and somewhat a necessity to a degree. NJA could vanish tomorrow and really no one beyond some pilots/ vendors and some rich people would notice.... You'd be suprised at how many guys I fly with have never heard of NJA or know basically nothing about them.

That would be my biggest fear with NJA going forward, even if I were a sub 200 seniority guy.... Chance of furlough is nil, but chance of the company dissolving, being parted out, or changing hands to a smaller owner with less deep pockets is a bit greater... 10-20-30 years in this industry is an eternity, chances are withing most of our career spans, NJA will have a drastic change for the better or worse, more than once over the next few decades.

Latest resources

Back