• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Good links, and thanks, but they do not address what our dispute is. I am a BIG believer in not flying if you are sleepy. I had a personal experience with that years ago that shocked me to the core which involved flying after 3 consecutive days of 3 AM wakeup calls. I felt fine, but I was not fine at all, and I made a big error. What I am dismayed with is the statement that fatiguing is the right thing to do if one is "a little tired." And that being "a little tired" is tantamount to being "a little drunk."

Good links, and thanks, but they do not address what our dispute is. I am a BIG believer in not flying if you are sleepy. I had a personal experience with that years ago that shocked me to the core which involved flying after 3 consecutive days of 3 AM wakeup calls. I felt fine, but I was not fine at all, and I made a big error. What I am dismayed with is the statement that fatiguing is the right thing to do if one is "a little tired." And that being "a little tired" is tantamount to being "a little drunk."

I've been in contact with our VP of Safety at NetJets and am going to get you some data that proves my point. I just hope that you give it a fair look and a healthy fear of flying fatigued, or even "a little tired".

Here's another resource for you. It illustrates the dangers of operating a car while fatigued, which in my opinion is only more dangerous when operating an aircraft.
http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/drow-ndx.htm

...And my favorite highlights.

"Drowsiness causes: slow reaction times, impaired judgment and vision, decline in attention, decreased alertness, increased moodiness and aggressive behavior, problems with processing information and short term memory."

"Contrary to popular belief, caffeine is not a substitute for sleep but can improve alertness especially when combined with a nap."

"When you are behind the wheel of a car, being sleepy is dangerous. Although most people know how dangerous drinking and driving is, they may not fully realize that drowsy driving can be just as fatal as driving drunk. Like drugs or alcohol, sleepiness slows reaction time, decreases awareness, impairs judgment and increases your risk of a crash.
However, it's difficult to attribute crashes to sleepiness because there is no standardized test for drowsiness, as there is for intoxication. This lack of standard criteria for determining when a driver is sleepy may be one reason there is little or no police training in identifying drowsiness as a crash factor."

Here's a news article (I know. Just some writer's opinion, but I share it) I found.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.co...s/101109-Driving-Tired-is-Like-Driving-Drunk/

"Driving tired is like driving drunk. “Just like alcohol or drugs, sleepiness slows reaction time and impairs judgment, according to AAA Foundation president and CEO Peter Kissinger,” Edmunds elaborates. “And drowsy driving can be just as dangerous as driving under the influence.”"

So yes. I feel that flying "a little tired", "drowsy", or "sleepy" is dangerous, and I will not do it. As a matter of fact, I called in fatigued last night and am sitting safely in a hotel room. Rested, and ready to tackle today's flight assignment safely. Had I NOT called in, I would have already completed a leg today. I would be pumped full of coffee, and only be able to give NetJets and our owners 70% at best.

Does that mean another crew had to pick up my trip? Yes it does. You have to have faith that THAT crew was better rested and able to give those owners the 100% they deserve. It is what they pay for. It is what they want. It is what they deserve.

It isn't hard. Just call up the Flight Manager and say, "I am fatigued." You want to know what will happen? The FM will say, "OK. We'll get you some rest. Have a good night. Get some sleep." Will you get in trouble? No! Will you get in trouble if you damage an aircraft (or die) because you are tired? Yes! (And you will effectively RUIN NetJets brand in the process).

In summary, if you are "a little tired" your judgement is already impaired, as is your memory. (A little trick I do is that if I can't remember the callsign for the flight during a radio call, especially if I have been on the same tail all week, then I am starting to get "a little tired"). It isn't safe! Don't do it! Call in fatigued! Your MANAGEMENT doesn't want you to fly fatigued (neither does your Union)!

Does ANYONE see recalls before 2013?! I don't. We are screwed for the next 3 years. I'd love to return to what was a great job, but guys, it's not going to happen. I very sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Does ANYONE see recalls before 2013?! I don't. We are screwed for the next 3 years. I'd love to return to what was a great job, but guys, it's not going to happen. I very sincerely hope I'm wrong.

nice thing though is 2013 is only a year and half away:beer: 3 years would be pushing 2014.5!!!

not as much as I wanna see a grown man naked......

What does a cool blue jacket have to do with anything? I think I'm lost!!

Latest resources

Back