NetJets (or any frax) & 121 jumpseating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F9 Driver said:
Depending on the company breaking these rules can get you just as fired as violating a FAR. The actual jumpseat in the cockpit is tightly controlled.

Do argument there. Depending on your management you can find yourself in serious trouble if you go "off the list" to allow someone in back. At my former 121 company, they could care less - as long as you could sweet talk the gate agent for 30 seconds of the Captain's time.

F9 Driver said:
It can be tough to get on as a jumpseater even if you are on the list (eg. UAL only allows as many jumpseaters as there are jumpseats on the airplane even if there are 50 empty open seats.) We, and several others like ATA & UsAir, will fill the back with pilots.

It's the "filling the back" carriers that I would look for when asking for a jumpseat - if I ever choose to do so. I haven't rode a jumpseat in over 3 years. "Unlimited Jumpseaters" is another word for "free non-reving," albiet at the LOWEST possible priority :D

F9 Driver said:
Just remember that the jumpseat is a privledge not a right.

Many people don't know that fact - and that's a good reason for keeping random 135 pilots/fractional pilots out of the airplane. The LAST thing airlines need is a disruptive jumpseater in First Class demanding another free Jack and Coke.

I had a ATC dude mooching my jumpseat one day (in a former life) but his wife was a Y-class in back. Saving a buck on vacation I guess. OMG, his wife gave my flight attendants SO much trouble. It's tough for an FA to come up front and bitch about "so and so is doing this..." when her husband is sitting between you and the F/O. We had a talk with the ATC guy. His wife got him in trouble. UFB.

F9 Driver said:
That FO who is kissing your but today just may be able to give you the recomendation tomorrow that will get you a job where you don't have to include your per diem on your mortgage application:)

You speak the truth. That's how I got my current job! But he never kissed my butt. He treated me like the dog I was ;)

Your right

Absolutely. No doubt there are people out there with the manners of a stoned goat and view the jumpseat as their birthright. But I don't think its endemic to just one group (135/121/91 pilots, ATC, FAA) as my experience was that %99 of people know how to conduct themselves. That %1 tends to be the sociopaths of the world that can't get along anywhere.

My wife is a SW FA and she says that most of the JS pilots they get are friendly and gracious, but there are few that tend to be pompous and dismissive. (Pilots? Noooooo....) For the record, she says the JS riders who aren't the nicest are rare and rarely seen again; the regular ones (like the last LAX-PHX of the night) are the same group most of the time and are very nice. She does think though, that on the occasion they need to get two seats together, like for a mother and child, that the JS riders should be the first to volunteer and often they are not.

"There was a looser who got himself fired from EJA just before I was hired by jumpseating and trading in his fully refundable "Y" fare ticket upon getting home. He got EJA a bad rap for a while, and was fired for his trouble."

Last I knew, this individual was flying for UAL. Interesting.
:rolleyes:

For everyones information NJA is very close to getting a 121 certificat which they will place the BBJ's on. They are currently operating 135 and are very busy.

Stork,

Where the hell did you hear that? 121??? That is the first I have heard of it, and I work there. Though I have been on vacation for the last 3 weeks.

Jumpseat USair

We are an all jet 135 operation and I just had a nice phone conversation with US JS coordinator and was told that we would not be included on the list at this time as we were an on demand, not scheduled 135 operator. We need to move pilots between Florida and Colorado from time to time. Anyone out there know who I could sned a letter to? PM would be fine.

Re: Jumpseat USair

aeronautic1 said:
We are an all jet 135 operation and I just had a nice phone conversation with US JS coordinator and was told that we would not be included on the list at this time as we were an on demand, not scheduled 135 operator. We need to move pilots between Florida and Colorado from time to time. Anyone out there know who I could sned a letter to? PM would be fine.

Jumpseats are not for "moving pilots". Quickest way I know for all the pilots of an operator to lose jumpseat privileges is to let the word get out that the parent company is using jumpseat privileges to move pilots on company business.

Correct

I phrased it wrong. What I ment to say was that our a/c are based in Florida and Colorado. But some us reside elsewhere. In anycase, it's just not the same as pre 9/11. Thanks varicam

stork said:
For everyones information NJA is very close to getting a 121 certificat which they will place the BBJ's on. They are currently operating 135 and are very busy.

yes, we are close to getting our 121 cert. could be anytime in the next 6 months - depends on several factors.

busy? not really. some weeks are, some are totally dead. it has become much busier since we got our 135 cert, however, the operation still is not breaking even.

next week we'll be down to four bbj's - boeing (who owns the first four) is taking one of those four back.

Dudes, it all comes down to this......you have nothing to offer in return..... that is why the little scheduled 207/ navajo operators have full blown "reciprocal" deals and you guys never will. Nothing personal, but you can't offer me a ride anywhere and it just gets old, escpecially when lots of people are using the jump seat for other than personal use...We are not all in this together, sorry.........

Latest resources

Back