• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LiveFreeorDie

Large Member
I need some advice from NetJet pilots.

I am about 180-240 deep in the Southwest pool and have a steady job that pays ~50K a year as a simulator instructor.

I have a wife and three kids.

NetJets just called and offered me a January interview. My best guess is Southwest will call me for training in 8-18 months. So do I sit tight here with my sim job, or do I take the interview and training contract with NetJets?

What is realistic first year pay?

How grueling is the first year schedule?

Is it fun/worth taking a pay cut and risking the training contract if SWA calls sooner than later?

Any input from current NetJet employees would be appreciated.

NetJets / SWA

Well, what's your long-term goal? For starters, you're already making more that you will for a while at NetJets. If you came to NetJets now, you'd be away from home for training, risk a bust on your type ride (ok, you may not think it's much of a risk since you're a hot shot simulator guy, but it happens from time to time), and you will have to sign a training contract (whether you want to believe the gouge that they're unenforcable or not is up to you). More importantly, you sound like you've already made up your mind when SWA calls anyway, so why bother. Also, you'd be screwing some other guy (who may also have a wife and kids and no cushy interim job like you have) out of the seat in class. If you're sure you don't want to stay, don't waste our time and effort training you. Did you mention in your interview that you already had a slot in the SWA pool and you were just looking for something to amuse yourself until then?

when did you apply?

Just curious as to when you applied and how long it took for the interview call?

Thanks!

I would stay at the sim job. why burn a bridge you may need it some day when you retire from the airlines or sooner. noone is exempt, look at the united guys. did you ever think they would be looking for fractional work.

Latest resources

Back