• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NetJets Citation X Program

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is my response to the 100% pay raise issue. Everyone is making such a big deal about NJA pilots asking for a 100% pay raise. What everyone is freaking about is the fact that we are asking for 100%. If everyone knew what we made then 100% would make alot more sense.

You are right that 100% would bring us up to where the market is, but (and it's a BIG but), most of the the country's workforce is lucky to be getting 3,4, and 5% pay increases, especially when inflation and interest rates are running so low. I think it would be hard for most outside observers (and even some inside ones who are used to thinking in historical terms) to have much sympathy for a group asking for a 100% raise, effective immediately. This is especially true for those who have no idea that a NetJets pilot starts at $28K. So while "100%" is a useful shorthand for those who are familiar with the facts, it is not going to garner much sympathy with those outside. They might ask (and rightly, in my opinion), "How could you pilots be so stupid to agree to a contract that would require 100% raise in order to get market-level wages?" Stating the same case as $100K for a five-year captain would make a lot more sense to these people!

You are right that 100% would bring us up to where the market is, but (and it's a BIG but), most of the the country's workforce is lucky to be getting 3,4, and 5% pay increases, especially when inflation and interest rates are running so low. I think it would be hard for most outside observers (and even some inside ones who are used to thinking in historical terms) to have much sympathy for a group asking for a 100% raise, effective immediately. This is especially true for those who have no idea that a NetJets pilot starts at $28K. So while "100%" is a useful shorthand for those who are familiar with the facts, it is not going to garner much sympathy with those outside. They might ask (and rightly, in my opinion), "How could you pilots be so stupid to agree to a contract that would require 100% raise in order to get market-level wages?" Stating the same case as $100K for a five-year captain would make a lot more sense to these people!

Gandolph.

You are correct about the sympathy and the sorry state that requires 100% raise to be at market level. However, sympathy is not required here at all. We are not at the airlines, serving the masses. I don't think many pilots give a rats how the public feels about our pay and benefits. We are an obscure, little company, perhaps make the 15th page in the Columbus, OH paper if we go on strike.
As far as the low salaries go, MY THEORY is that at the signing of the previous contract majority of pilots were transient, enroute to the majors, or retired pilots making beer money and child support to the 4th flight attendant wife. Just like at the (so called)regionals: we will pay you low since you will be leaving; we will leave because you pay us so low. The circle.
The situation is changed significantly here and at the regionals. Even 22 year olds are concerned about good pay, long term benefits and retirement. This may very well be our last job, so let's make it a well paying one, with keeping company health and good employee-management relationship in sight.

I agree completely. Wherever you are in the industry right now is probably where you are going to be 10 years from now (and that's for the lucky ones)! And the older you are, the more true that is!

It will be very hard for any management to present any flying job as "paying your dues" in order to get the big bucks later on. Consolidation, not growth, will be the norm for 95% of aviation for the forseeable future. And as for making this job something that sustain a decent lifestyle and a final career move, I'm 100% with you. Given my salary progression over the past decade, I fear my next job could be slinging fries at McDonalds<G>.

They might ask (and rightly, in my opinion), "How could you pilots be so stupid to agree to a contract that would require 100% raise in order to get market-level wages?" Stating the same case as $100K for a five-year captain would make a lot more sense to these people!

To other pilots, that might make more sense. To the general public, that thinks that most pilots are severely overpaid as it is(and I am not referring to owners), I don't think it would help your case.

Latest resources

Back