Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pattern-Master

so get outta my way
I'm looking for a no nonsense place to do my ATP rating. I was thinking of "ATP" in Jacksonville. Anybody use them and how are the DPE's there. I want to make this as quick and painless as possible. Thanks.

No, the airlines will not issue an ATP when you complete your SIC training. And I fly right seat on Beechjet no need for ATP. I need an ATP so I can start applying to fractionals, that's all.

Look into accessible aviation. I am in the same boat as you and I have heard good things about them. The cost seems to be a little better than all ATPs.

Again...at 3,000 hours, simply because no one gave you an ATP...why arrive at this point after flying advanced equipment and not have it?

Moreover, why seek out a speciality place to obtain the ATP? It's an instrument checkride. Rent a twin, take the ATP checkride, and you're done. It's not rocket science; it's the same checkride you'll have undergone when doing a SIC type.

Several years ago at a fractional operator, a young man was recommended by several to upgrade. I was present when he arrived to begin training. I was as surprised as anyone to learn that not only did he not have his ATP, but that he didn't have the knowledge ("written") exam done either. No regulation required him to get it, but the general consensus among many at the time was that getting that far into his career and not arriving at the gate prepared to go spoke poorly for him.

Point is, go ahead and get it done, but at 3,000 hours and several advanced aircraft later, to be looking for the ATP now in order to apply to jobs...is a little behind the curve.

Most guys seem to get their ATP when they upgrade. I don't see anything wrong with that. Financially speaking, it does make more sense.. I just now meet the experience requirements to apply for a fractional. Trouble is, I am not competitive in todays market.

Most flight schools wont let you just rent a twin due to insurance... In my research, you are better off going to a place that has an ATP program in place.. (cheaper) Just my opinion on what I have seen.

Didn't get hired with 300 hours. I came over to the regionals after being a CFI and flying freight. Nice generalization though.

Last edited:
why pay for a ATP when you can get it for free? Thats how I did it. Not a bad plan. Lots of people do it that way.

It's not rocket science; it's the same checkride you'll have undergone when doing a SIC type.
An SIC type doesn't require a checkride...basically just document the same 61.55 copilot training we've been doing for years (systems, 3 T&L's, CRM, Engine-out maneuvering, IIRC) slightly diffrerently, and take it to the Fed Shed to get the rating issued.

ATP is the same as the PIC type rating.

Personally, I didn't get my ATP until I had in excess of 3000 hours, and it was required by the company...didn't need it, didn't want it. Didn't seem to reflect nearly as badly on me as the tailwheel and glider time I had.

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back