Need some computer help!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

I'm trying to reinstall Microsoft XP onto my computer, but i'm getting a message that won't allow me to run the reinstallation CD because the version I currently have on my computer is newer than the one i'm tring to install. It says that if I want to go ahead with installing the older version of XP, "To install the version on the CD, restart your computer, boot from this CD, and follow the instructions for a new installation."

My question is, how do I boot the computer up from this installation CD? Just restarting the computer with the CD in the drive isn't working. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

You have to boot into 'safe mode'. During the normal boot process the cursor will move to the upper left part of the screen. Try hitting the 'F1' key to go into the BIOS menu. Each manufacturer has a different way to get to this menu. Experiment until you succeed. Then you should be able to boot from the CD.

Visit some PC sites and post your problem. Someone may have a easier way of forcing XP to reload. There is a way to edit the registry, changing the values associated with the OS. Editing the registry without guidance can cause more problems.

You installed SP2 and the installation disk is SP1. Thus the problem.
If you delete the windows folder than it will be a clean XP install. I assume you are reinstalling because XP is dead. If not then why.

b.t.w. Why is this on this forum?

Latest resources

Back