Need some computer help!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

I'm trying to reinstall Microsoft XP onto my computer, but i'm getting a message that won't allow me to run the reinstallation CD because the version I currently have on my computer is newer than the one i'm tring to install. It says that if I want to go ahead with installing the older version of XP, "To install the version on the CD, restart your computer, boot from this CD, and follow the instructions for a new installation."

My question is, how do I boot the computer up from this installation CD? Just restarting the computer with the CD in the drive isn't working. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks!

Make sure in your bios setup that it is set to first : boot from CD. It is probably now set to boot from your hard drive and is skipping your CD. If you don't know how to get to the bios check the manual for your computer. Usually it is gained by pressing f2 after powering it on.

ya, make sure you set up your bios...also, if it still gives you trouble, you'll have to format the harddrive and start from scratch (i'm pretty sure the windoes xp cd has that option)....it has a lot to do with the service pack 2 that you probably installed......if you *legally* bought the copy of XP, go to the microsoft website and see what they tell ya....

which problem did you fix?
the boot from cd problem or the original problem which was the reason you were going to reinstall?

Well, both. I wanted to do a clean reinstall of XP because my computer was running slow and was having a few other problems. I tried just putting the reinstall CD in the D: drive and running it from there, but my computer wouldn't accept it because I was running a newer version of XP on my computer that was on the CD I was trying to reinstall. I suspect the reason was because I had downloaded SP2 on my computer and I was using a "pre" SP2 CD for the reinstall, thus the newer version on my computer. The only way to install an older version of XP on my system was to boot my computer from the CD, which led to my next problem because I didn't know how to do that. I finally figured that out. If you care, on a Dell Inspiron 8200, this is accomplished by restarting the computer and when the blue Dell screen pops up on the restart you press F2 to enter setup. Go to page two and move CD up to the top on the startup sequence. Escape, and save, and there you go! Just don't forget to go back and move CD back down when you are finished.

Thanks to those that offered me some help and advice. I appreciate it!

Latest resources

Back