Need help from all you wonderful Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jcrew10

Hello all! I need help and this is the last place I'm searching for help.

I hope you can be very understanding as this is very overwhelming. I am a fearful flyer. Absolutely phobic! I have taken the FOF course, and have visited the forums for help.

Unfortunately, there are probably only a couple of pilots and the rest are just like me - fearful flyers seeking advice. So, my threads never really get answered the way I want. I am leaving in two weeks and I am a mess. Please I ask help me feel at ease by sharing some information.

This is what bothers me: at take off, the plane is going so fast and all of a sudden it banks either way. I feel like the plane will roll-over. This is overwhelming. Also at take-off, I feel that so many things can go wrong, loss of power, engine fires, engine loss, mid-air collision, etc. The feeling of no control at that point is sickening. Then, there's the question if the pilot and the ATC are both on the same page.

Once reaching what you all call at cruise, then its the turbulence thing. Ok I will have to admit that I have been focusing on this for at least two weeks now and I have a good feeling about this. In lay terms, only little bumps in the sky - sort of like bumps on an unpaved/poorly paved road. I think I have made some stride. I always felt that the wings, plane, engine would break off. I have experienced years ago some bumpy flights.

Final decending and landing - believe it or not, this is total phsycological - I feel good. Kind of the end to a bad bad thing!

My last trip was in June (not by choice) I was flying my 13 year old son to TX for 2 weeks. Why didn't I just send him alone, my fear is so bad that I thought if something were to happen, he's not alone. The trip back alone was on a couple of beers and Atavin. My son kept saying "Mom, you'll be fine". Wise guy for so young.

Anyway, I am flying on AA757 ORD to San Jan then on a ATR 72 (I think) connect to ST. Thomas. Can you guys help me thru this process. The "no big deals/worries" w/take offs, cruise and landing...The noises make me go bonkers. All the dings - thinking the pilots are sending stress signals to the FA's. I will have to say, the Pilots and FA's on my last trip were incredibly empathetic with me. I was very pleased. Although, I have had FA's in the past that would make a comment like "Girl, if it were dangerous you think I'd be up here..." kind of comment. Well, no duh! But, when you suffer this type of phobia, it doesn't register.

Thank you in advance - I know, I know - this is not the right place (I think) to go, but In lieu of some therapy that I can't afford and someone talking to me that has never flown a 'fricken plane before, I'd rather take it to the Pro's. I wish I knew a pilot that I could talk to. This would be a super help!

Thank you so much.
Sandy

Well... you are 10x more likely to die in a car crash going TO the airport than you are likely to get killed in a plane crash.

Does that help?

Dang! Sorry about that! ........don't know what happened.......it was
supposed to be NASA's "ten steps to overcoming aviation phobias" link........Sorry?!

jcrew10 said:
This is what bothers me: at take off, the plane is going so fast and all of a sudden it banks either way. I feel like the plane will roll-over. This is overwhelming. Also at take-off, I feel that so many things can go wrong, loss of power, engine fires, engine loss, mid-air collision, etc. The feeling of no control at that point is sickening. Then, there's the question if the pilot and the ATC are both on the same page.
Sandy,

The people best qualified to keep the airplane flying are in control, and they absolutely HATE dying. Believe me, they'll do whatever it takes to keep that airplane going the right direction, and it doesn't even matter what page ATC is on. ATC just THINKS they can control airplanes! :) (They only do what pilots let them do.)

By the time the airplane turns, it's already at least 400 feet above the ground. By then, there is plenty of room to turn without any danger of hitting anything. Even if one of the engines was completely gone, there is nothing that would prevent the airplane from being fully controllable.

Rest assured, no pilot could be sitting at the controls unless he was extensively trained in all emergency procedures, and has been required to demonstrate the skills to handle the airplane under a number of emergency conditions.

There are no guarantees, to be sure. Combined with the fact that you are not in control, it is understandable that you'd be apprehensive. Even I don't like sitting in the back! But as Mattpilot said, it's far safer, statistically speaking, than driving a car. In fact, I think crossing the street is more hazardous.

SO, if reason and facts are of any help, there they are. If that doesn't help, upgrade to first class and go to sleep before you takeoff. :)

Sparky's signature line was a dead give away! LOL

Latest resources

Back