Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FastPilot

Wannabe Rotorhead
I need detailed info on Falcan 10s ASAP. My opinion has been requested in regards to an aircraft that is currently undergoing a pre-purchase insp. I would welcome information from anyone with direct experience either flying or maintaining 10s, or contact info if you know someone who does. You can answer here or e-mail me at my yahoo address. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me.

Steve Ahart

Everything, lol. Major MTX items to look for, things that can bite you in the butt down the road. Residual values of several mods, such as the aft baggage mod, etc. What things should be covered on the pre-buy such as common corrosion areas, wear points, hyd problems to look for etc. Comon items that you learn about the aircraft as you are around it. Any specific things to look for on different S/N? I heard that there were some changes to the wing arounf S/N 144 or so. Also residual A/C values at this time. How depressed is the Falcon 10 market? I know it's a buyer's market, but what is currently considered reasonable for a clean A/C?

Steve

I manage one now and have about 10 years experience in the 10. It's a solid airplane.

As far as trying to figure out resiuals on the mods you mention is tough. The rear baggage mod, IMO, is a necessity. Unless your plane has the forward closet, without the rear mod, baggage space is tight.

There are not many life limiting items on the falcon 10. There is a big gear inspection...requiring removal, at 5500 landings if I recall. I doubt there are many out there, but plan on needing the 18740 mtogw version, as opposed to the 18300.

Items that go from time to time are GCU's and engine driven hydraulic pumps. But nothing out of the ordinary has been my experience.

The airplane is basically available in three avionics versions. Collins with FD109's, Sperry and Collins EFIS. The latter was in the 100's. I have only flown the Collins airplanes and have not had any AP issues over the years.

The falcon 10 is not known to be a corrosion queen.

Some good SB's are:

restrictor valve for the airbrakes (slows the rate of retraction and extension)
high capacity cabin blowers
gravel kit (among other things it puts screen covers on the main gear landing lights prolonging their life)

If the 10 you are looking at has been maintained by people that know it, it should be a good airplane.

Typical BOW's for a TR'd airplane range from 11850 to 12200, depending upon interior configuration. Plane a few hundred pounds lighter for a non-TR airplane.

Three weight versions...

18300, 18740 and I believe 19200 for the 100 mtogw respectively.

IMO it has been my experience there are really not bite you in the butt items. A knowledgable ten broker will have the pre-buy in order. Naturally a paper work audit is something to look for. If it's a canadian airplane a big issue is the compass systems. Some times the canuks will modify the compass system for operation in northern lattitudes. SOMETIMES these compass systems will not pass the FAA muster test, and will need to be replaced.

Conditioning valves tend to fail from time to time, as does the timer associated with it.

The IDC pressurization controller is nothing to write home about either, but if it's been overhauled on schedule by a good shop, it works fine.

The is a SB for DEEC's as well as a -2C mode. Very nice. I like 'em.

Our directs last year ran about 1000/hr.

MSP gold is $312/hr
Fuel is about 190 gals per hour (or about $400/hr)
We budgeted about $280/hr for maint. but came in a bit less.

I can likey come up with some more stuff for you as I meditate about it. PM me if you have any more specific quesitons.

Thank you. That is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. Basically a crash course on the ten. I'll pm you with a few more specific questions.

I almost forgot... If anyone else has anything to add, please post.

Latest resources

Back