• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ndb approaches?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i remember at lakes you had to have the NDB down cold... that was the only way in at Show Low, AZ... my instrument skills were never better than my time at lakes...

YX isn't approved for NDBs.... LOC/GPS is as simple as they can go these days. Also not approved for circling in less than VMC....

I was dead nuts on the radial from the OM NDB in EAU and the damn airport was still at 2 o'clock. Thank god we can't do GPS's in the Saab. They may not be accurate.

p.s. The ILS was down. I don't choose to do the NDB.

And that's why you do the NDB "backed up by the FMS" approach in the Saab. Worst I ever saw was being lined up perfectly with the parallel taxiway in London.

Just as we do the VOR "backed up by the FMS" in the CRJ... actually check that, the PF flies it in white (the FMS) and it's backed up by the PM flying it in green (actually using the VOR)

Last edited:
And that's why you do the NDB "backed up by the FMS" approach in the Saab. Worst I ever saw was being lined up perfectly with the parallel taxiway in London.

Just as we do the VOR "backed up by the FMS" in the CRJ... actually check that, the PF flies it in white (the FMS) and it's backed up by the PM flying it in green (actually using the VOR)
Actually, I learned to just shoot the ILS with a TW in YXU. Seemed like if the vis was down around a mile, it was tough to get in on the NDB.

I usually do, but there was something going on so we couldn't. I think it was a last second change or something and there wasn't time or something like that.

I can remember doing the NDB 26 at CYS and circling to the shorter runway when 8/26 was closed shortly before I left Lakes. But it's been a while.

Thats still the NDB approach of choice in the training dept. of course with 25 kts of xwind.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back