Navaid id?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

Poll: How many still follow the instruction received all those years ago, about verifying the approach navaid by listening to the morse code when in busy terminal airspace?
Just trying to get a feel for what is normal and usual these days.
Thanks

Depends on the airplane I'm flying and the purpose of tuning the navaid. Flying the Citation, nav frequencies display the ID on the EMERGENCY when it picks up the station. There is no need for me to verify the morse code separately. If I'm tuning a radio as a backup to the FMS, I generally don't ID it. When I'm flying with avionics that don't verify it for me, or if somehow I find myself flying an NDB, I certainly tune, identify, twist just like I learned getting my instrument rating.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I verify it for approaches. The ID that appears on the PFD is for the DME, not the navaid.

I learn something new everyday. I have a vague recollection os the guys at CAE teaching that it was acceptable method for IDing when I went through Ultra initial a few years ago.

If that only covers the DME, I suppose I should ID if I'm flying off the nav radio.

Does the DME transmit an ID if the VOR is OTS?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm old skool...

But then again so is the steam-powered slowtation I fly.

I still verify...

Thanks guys, problem with these polls is,..how many who do not ID would post to tell about it. Do any of you fly with someone who never does?

A lot of modern equipment will auto tune the nav-aid for the approach entered into the FMS. Additionally it will display the ID. In my case, I can tell that when the ID tuned (displayed on the PFD) is prefaced with an I, like ILAX, that I am indeed tuned to the localizer. If it is a VOR approach (haven't done one in years) I would typically have the approach loaded in the FMS and have an overlay, so any discrepancy would be pretty obvious. So, if you are looking for someone to fess up to not listening to Morse code ID's, here I am.
Not proud about, but I've been trained that in the equip I fly, it is not necessary (not talking about an NDB approach).

Last edited:
In my case, I can tell that when the ID tuned (displayed on the PFD) is prefaced with an I, like ILAX, that I am indeed tuned to the localizer...

But is that identifier on the PFD for the localizer, or its associated DME transceiver? It's worth checking your equipment's manual to find out for certain.

In most equipment I've flown that displays an identifier on the screen, it's the DME's ID being shown, not that of the VHF transmitter. And in such equipment, I do indeed listen to the morse code ID to verify that it's transmitting, and with the correct ID.

Remember that a DME, while usually co-located with a VHF transmitter, is an entirely separate UHF transceiver. It's possible for the DME to work while the localizer is offline.

As I said, check the books on your specific plane to find out for sure.

We always do. It's a bit old-fashioned, but it only costs you 10 seconds,
And it could save your @$$ some dark and stormy night.
The ident displayed on our airplanes (different types) is from the DME.

Latest resources

Back