• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bluestreak

Fitty-Six F100's rock
National Airlines to Cease Operations Immediately
Wednesday November 6, 7:50 pm ET
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 6, 2002--National Airlines announced that it will cease operations, effective November 6, 2002.
The cessation of operations was necessitated after the carrier was unable to complete a previously announced agreement to the satisfaction of its senior management, Board of Directors, aircraft lessors and other key creditors.
Customers with tickets on National Airlines that were purchased with MasterCard or VISA credit cards may apply for a refund through their credit card company. Customers using other credit cards must inquire at their respective credit card companies about refunds. Customers holding tickets for future National Airlines' flights should be able to fly on other carriers based on those respective carriers' acceptance program as outlined by Section 145 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act. Use of National Airlines tickets on other carriers may affect customers' refund requests with their respective credit card companies. Refunds for tickets from National Airlines will not be available.
Michael J. Conway, president and CEO, said, "This is a very sad day for the 1,500 employees of National Airlines, the City of Las Vegas and Southern Nevada, as well as the traveling public who now have one less choice to meet their travel needs." He added, "We exhausted every possible viable alternative in seeking funding to maintain our ability to fly and serve hundreds of thousands of people each month. Unfortunately, we could not obtain the support necessary and were forced to make the very difficult decision to cease operations.
"We were very close to completing a successful reorganization on a few different occasions, only to have additional obstacles confront us at the last minute. We were able to meet all these challenges successfully, until now.
"I truly hope that other carriers pick up the service vacuum and still maintain the low fare competition that National brought into every city we served."
The CEO has also expressed extreme frustration and disappointment in the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB). "As much as I applaud Congress for their swift action in stabilizing the airline industry in September 2001, I am totally dismayed by the way the ATSB has handled the loan guarantee program. The ATSB is choosing winners and losers in the industry, notwithstanding direction from Congress to the contrary.
"Despite our unfortunate decision to cease operations, I am very proud of what we were able to accomplish at National Airlines, and extend my heartfelt thanks to all of National's employees, who responded so admirably to every new challenge.
"I would also like to thank the more than 7 million passengers that have flown on National over the past three years," Conway concluded.

There's a surprize...
Has any carrier ever survived LAS.

Name them on one hand and I 'll give
you my profit's from UAL stock in the last
6 weeks.

I just went through a similar situation and just want to wish all the employees at National the best of luck and my deepest sympathies. -Bean

That's a real shame, they offered friendly service and low fares, not to mention that they were awesome to jumpseat on.

They would go out of their way to get you on board. Good luck to all the guys and gals at National.

One word :sux

Best wishes to the National guys, we will all miss "Red Rock"

Hey jetsnake: how about Reno, if I'm not mistaken they started in LAS (can anyone verify this). Fork it over.

To all those who lost their jobs, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. I know you were trying hard to do everything possible to make it work.

I was planning to jumpseat on National this weekend from JFK to Vegas to visit family and friends. I jumpseated on them once before and they really treated me very well. I'm disappointed that I won't get the opportunity to do it again. I was really looking forward to it.

As far as picking up the customers, jetBlue said long ago that they would only go into Vegas from JFK if either National or America West stopped flying the route. Just a few days ago we announced twice daily JFK-LAS flights. I wonder if our management knew what was about to happen.

I'm saddened we will now be filling a void instead of sharing the skys with Red Rock. Vegas is a huge market and I'm sure we'll only be able to help out a little, given all the other demands for our airplanes.

BTW, I also agree with Conway's statements that the ATSB is picking winners and losers in the loan guarantee business. It seems like the playing field should be level and everybody should know the rules, instead of leaving the decisions to a subjective board.

LearLove said:
[B Hey jetsnake: how about Reno, if I'm not mistaken they started in LAS (can anyone verify this). Fork it over. [/B]

Yes they did, But where did they end up at,
you have four fingers left my friend, and
Nellis AFB or Tonapah don't count.

You have to be from Sioux City, thanks
OK, we all grew up up from something...

FSD

At least we had the FALLS...

Last edited:
More fallout from September 11th.

There was no need to send any servicemembers to Afghanistan. We should sent in all our furloughed and layed-off airline pilots. They'd've torn Osama apart with their bare hands.

You guys at National ran a good ship, and I for one am truly sorry to see you go. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back