Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NAFI MASTER INSTRUCTOR vrs. FAA GOLD SEAL CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UndauntedFlyer said:
I received a PM from a person who said that NAFI has copyrighted the term Master Flight Instructor.

They could not have copyrighted the term, their applications and logo, maybe.

The terms "master flight instructor" and "master certificated flight instructor" can be trademarked. At this point, the US Trademark Office does not show an application on file from NAFI or EAA for those words.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein, MCFI

The Mater CFI is a much much higher standard, and the cost of it is worth it, if you plan on taking flight instructing seriously and want to make a career of it.

If you are making $10-15/hour when you fly and have to sit around the flight school waiting for a student to show up, then you probably dont even qualify for the designation or would it be worth it. Most master CFIs are commited instructors and probably make decent money(for aviation at least) doing it. If you are flight shool lackey dont waste your time.

Having the designation does not make you any better as an instructor, unless you have to go out of your way to accomplish the things required to get the MCFI. It is a recognition of meeting higher standards and doing more for the community than the average CFI.

When I was an independent, I used to charge $45/hour or $250/day, and I had a pretty good life as a CFI. It took a while to get there, unfortunatley there was no way to get any twin time with what I was doing and had to move on. I am now an overqualified flight school lackey, hoping to find time to fill out my paperwork for the MCFI.

I still think the MCFI should be free, like the Gold Seal CFI or the new E-CFI..

UndauntedFlyer said:
I still think the MCFI should be free, like the Gold Seal CFI or the new E-CFI..

I've never heard of the E-CFI, what is it?

E-cfi

flyer172r said:
I've never heard of the E-CFI, what is it?

If you're a CFI, a member of this Board, make posts, start new topics, and enjoy electronic instructing in cyberspace, then you are qualified to call yourself an E-CFI. If you want to make it official, please edit your profile and add E-CFI. Congratulations to all in advance.

Last edited:
I stopped paying dues to NAFI.

As someone else stated they are a joke of an organization. They do nothing anymore except run the MCFI program.

They are elitists in attitude and application.

Too bad - I thought they would turn into something better. Their need to take funds from the EAA has limited their ability to target their audience properly.

You can become an MCFI but you will always have to explain to folks what that is and your customers couldn't care less.

Get the gold seal and be happy.

I really think NAFI should reward their members who qualify for their "Master" designation with a free 2-year membership in recognition of the community service that those members provide. Instead it appears that NAFI has the nerve to charge its own members who do all this an additional $100 on top of the membership. And in return they give the member a fake gold pin. The MCFI concept of community service and giving back to the industry is fine and to be applauded, but the price is wrong. It's just a money making marketing program for NAFI.

Tarp: I'm with you its the Gold Seal to show real time in the trenches as a hard working CFI, and a good one too.

If you really think about it, many of the MCFI's probably can not qualify for the Gold Seal because they can't get 10 students trained in a 2-year period. That takes a full time flight instructing effort. While many MCFI's may be Gold Seal instructors from work done before, I would guess that there a large number of MCFI's such as the airline guys who can not qualify for the Gold Seal unless they want to quit their jobs and go back to flight instructing for a living.

Getting a Gold Seal is harder than the MCFI and takes at least a year or two of dedication toward quality instructing work.

Last edited:
Excellent post Undaunted!

I will submit an email to NAFI about eliminating dues if one qualifies for the MCFI. Like ALPA, APA, AOPA, etc, these are organization that serve as our mouth piece, however NAFI is small enough that change could be brought about by membership influence.

You are correct, as a full time airline guy I can not qualify for the Gold Seal. Instead I am in the process of accepting a board position on a flight instructor association. I will be a national judge at the NIFA SAFECON 2006, and have started the process to attain my MCFI. Sine the gold is no longer available to me, and I am not about to quit my airline job, the MCFI is the only way to continue learning, and participate in the enhancement of GA and the profession of all things flight.

AAflyer

To AA Flyer: I really like what you have written. The MCFI is a great incentive for instructors to serve the community. And if NAFI changes their policy of charging extra and instead chooses to reward the "Masters" with a free membership for 1 or 2 years in recognition of their voluntary work such as you have expressed an interest in doing that would be the right thing. To make up for the lost cash they could raise the dues somewhat I guess. In any event, if they make the change we are discussing I would rejoin at whatever the dues are.

Really and honestly, people like you who like the flight instructing business are the pillers of aviation.

AA flyer, would you like to be the next E-CFI? If so list E-CFI under your ratings on this Board. Looks to me like you qualify.

Last edited:
AAflyer said:
Excellent post Undaunted!

I will submit an email to NAFI about eliminating dues if one qualifies for the MCFI. Like ALPA, APA, AOPA, etc, these are organization that serve as our mouth piece, however NAFI is small enough that change could be brought about by membership influence.

You are correct, as a full time airline guy I can not qualify for the Gold Seal. Instead I am in the process of accepting a board position on a flight instructor association. I will be a national judge at the NIFA SAFECON 2006, and have started the process to attain my MCFI. Sine the gold is no longer available to me, and I am not about to quit my airline job, the MCFI is the only way to continue learning, and participate in the enhancement of GA and the profession of all things flight.

AAflyer

Exactly...you want apples, you get apples...you want oranges, you get oranges. You want to be an MCFI, get the MCFI. You want to be a Gold Seal Instructor, get the Gold Seal. Entirely different entities.

fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back