• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My response to SWA package!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be sure to read all Lear70's posts. Including the ones just prior to the buyout where he was begging for a staple.

If I were a Southwest pilot, busted my arse to get there, got the 737 type and all the prepping for a very challenging interview (that many current trannies couldn't pass) I wouldn't accept one single trannie being senior to me.

A straight staple is the fairest integration, since it places all new SWA pilots on the bottom just like every other SWA pilot started. It also fair to make them interview and get the 737 type, but it's doubtful that every tranny could afford the type rating and interview prep so I wouldn't count on it.

Nice post Lear. We don't hear too many folks from the Airtran side acknowledging some of the things you mention.

RF
Thanks. I think you'll find that the VAST majority of us aren't interested in some type of "land grab". We don't want your group so angry that it creates "red book / green book" for decades to come and segmented bases, hostile cockpits, etc, etc. Who wants to work in that kind of atmosphere?

I have faith in our mutual unions and Southwest management to hammer something out that will be fair and minimize angst as much as possible. Lots of possibilities moving forward for us as a company to just about dominate the domestic scene, soon the near-Caribbean, then the world! Muuuhahahah... OK, a little melodrama, but still, I think we're gonna have an even bigger kick-a$$ company!

Enjoy your weekend. :beer:

Did you completely miss this part of my statement?

"and don't want to give the otherside anything in return"

What do the Southwest pilots gain in this SLI? Fair and equitable cuts both ways. I'm hoping for a well thought out response..

The future gains for the whole company have been stated ad nauseum by GK and repeated here. It's not that we don't want to give you anything, but the only thing we have to give on is seniority and we'd like to keep as much of that as possible, so would you if you were in our position. It's pretty safe to say though that no AT pilot wants to take something that's not theirs or harm any WN pilot's position in the ISL. It is understandable that AT pilots would expect to stay in the seats of the airplanes that they are bringing to the deal.

We might feel a little differently if it was SWAPA that went to WN mgmt and suggested the buyout because they wanted to share the luv with some of their peers. Instead, your mgmt made the decision to buy us and they are forcing you to "share your toys". I can see how some of you are envious, unfortunately, that envy turns into jealousy and resentment. Instead of being happy for another's good fortune, you are disappointed that in your view, you're not getting anything out of the deal. If you have that much faith in GK and the culture, I'd trust GK when he says you won't be harmed and I'll trust him to stay true to his word that we'll be merged and one big happy family in the end.

BTW, personally I think the opportunity for WN pilots to get the most out of this deal was missed on Sept. 27th of last year when this was announced. That would have been the time to go to the powers that be and owns the check book to "encourage" them to grease the skids to help this go as smoothly as possible. I don't believe that was the MO of your previous union leadership though and they may not have felt it necessary. Now you are stuck trying to get blood from a turnip. I truly hope for all our sakes that mgmt plans on stepping in this week to "aid" in negotiations. It may not be what some/any of us expect, we can only wait and see. I'm not expecting anything, we're only half-way through the direct negotiations time frame, if there is going to be anything of sustance, it won't come until the middle of Aug.

The fact is that both in career earnings and relative seniority over the length of your career you will win out of this deal no matter how the list is constructed. I can tell you the same is not true for me. Maybe AAI ALPA will send a FEDEX package to my house explaining the loses that I can expect over the course of my career as a result of this acquisition.

No. Seniority is everything in this business. SWAPA didn't construct this merger, the CEO did. Airtran pilots don't owe them anything, the CEO wanted this done. An arbitrator will look it over and hear testimony, and figure out what is actually fair. Seniority is forever.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Thanks. I think you'll find that the VAST majority of us aren't interested in some type of "land grab". We don't want your group so angry that it creates "red book / green book" for decades to come and segmented bases, hostile cockpits, etc, etc. Who wants to work in that kind of atmosphere?

I have faith in our mutual unions and Southwest management to hammer something out that will be fair and minimize angst as much as possible. Lots of possibilities moving forward for us as a company to just about dominate the domestic scene, soon the near-Caribbean, then the world! Muuuhahahah... OK, a little melodrama, but still, I think we're gonna have an even bigger kick-a$$ company!

Enjoy your weekend. :beer:

What the heck Lear, what's a couple hundred extra numbers on top of you? Ah, who cares? Your kids might when you are in LBB 3 XMAS's in a row. Your wife might when you are delayed an upgrade because you missed it by one number and then a downturn starts. Ah, you probably didn't deserve it anyway, that higher number, because those SWA pilots did help the CEO craft the merger and made sure the financing was in place. They did it all, and that means you should give in and give them something in return, like compliance. They like when you do that. (all TIC) Don't fall for it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hey GL,

Are you on an overnight? How is the hotel? Bed bugs suck don't they?

I'm at home playing xbox with my kids, eating lunch in our jamies. Haven't been to LBB in years, really great people there though, I always have a great overnight.

[
QUOTE=Luv2BFlyin;2179300] It's not that we don't want to give you anything, but the only thing we have to give on is seniority and we'd like to keep as much of that as possible, so would you if you were in our position.
We are in that position today, we don't want to be harmed in the out years. AT's younger group of pilots means just that, loss of out year earnings for organic SWA pilots. This disparity needs to be mitigated.

It's pretty safe to say though that no AT pilot wants to take something that's not theirs or harm any WN pilot's position in the ISL.
The feeling is mutual, but the devil is in the details.

It is understandable that AT pilots would expect to stay in the seats of the airplanes that they are bringing to the deal.
No, it is understandable that get to keep the seat your negotiated seniority can hold, right?

I can see how some of you are envious, unfortunately, that envy turns into jealousy and resentment. Instead of being happy for another's good fortune, you are disappointed that in your view, you're not getting anything out of the deal.
Envious? Hardly, we are dismayed by the entitlement attitude of "you want your seat and our contract", absolutely dismayed. No, we are not the White Night riding into town expecting it to "go our way", but the "ALPA has lost no seat" mantra is a poke in our collective eye.

All SWA pilots want is to be neutral/no harm in this deal, that may mean some seniority sacrifice from your side, knowing that end game 5-10-25 years out you still come out ahead. Actuarially, we would then all win, now is that fair? Or do you want SWA pilots to be a neutral to negative on this deal forever?

If you have that much faith in GK and the culture, I'd trust GK when he says you won't be harmed and I'll trust him to stay true to his word that we'll be merged and one big happy family in the end.
Jury is still out, but since a women just got off for "killing" her daughter, anything can happen. Trust is a two way street, we do trust him, but we need some strong "verification".

Now you are stuck trying to get blood from a turnip. I truly hope for all our sakes that mgmt plans on stepping in this week to "aid" in negotiations.
I think the topic will be more along the lines of how can SWA grease your skids to get you to come to the middle ground, I don't think SWA will grease SWAPA in any profound way. Most likely, the greasing will be to both sides. We'll see.

What the heck Lear, what's a couple hundred extra numbers on top of you? Ah, who cares? Your kids might when you are in LBB 3 XMAS's in a row. Your wife might when you are delayed an upgrade because you missed it by one number and then a downturn starts. Ah, you probably didn't deserve it anyway, that higher number, because those SWA pilots did help the CEO craft the merger and made sure the financing was in place. They did it all, and that means you should give in and give them something in return, like compliance. They like when you do that. (all TIC) Don't fall for it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hey Lear...

And it begins. I was wondering how long it would take the Gen/OYS to throw you under the bus for being associated with Southwest. I guess the answer is July 10th, 2011.

Like beginning to a new Era. Welcome to club.

RF

Hey Lear...

And it begins. I was wondering how long it would take the Gen/OYS to throw you under the bus for being associated with Southwest. I guess the answer is July 10th, 2011.

Like beginning to a new Era. Welcome to club.

RF

Guess you missed this part:

"They like when you do that. (all TIC) Don't fall for it."

Latest resources

Back