Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Saabslime

Dysfunctional family
For the bottom 150 or so guys on the west side, time to start dusting off those resume's (I'm sure most of you have already come to this conclusion). I had a checkairman on the j/s doing a line check and he said the "rumor" with a wink of his eye is roughly 150 or so within the next "few" months. Probably an announcment within a couple of weeks once they've tweeked the numbers. He also said that the late bank in Vegas is going away in Aug. and that base will more than likely be closed.

Now I'm not one to spread fear on baseless rumor but this guy didn't seem to be just guessing. Just want those who may be affected to get every advantage and a jump start at something new/better.

For the bottom 150 or so guys on the west side, time to start dusting off those resume's (I'm sure most of you have already come to this conclusion). I had a checkairman on the j/s doing a line check and he said the "rumor" with a wink of his eye is roughly 150 or so within the next "few" months. Probably an announcment within a couple of weeks once they've tweeked the numbers. He also said that the late bank in Vegas is going away in Aug. and that base will more than likely be closed.

Now I'm not one to spread fear on baseless rumor but this guy didn't seem to be just guessing. Just want those who may be affected to get every advantage and a jump start at something new/better.

I thought USAir "West" was the "strong side" of the operation. Why are their pilots being furloughed and bases closed?

Is the blocked Nic the cause of furloughs from the bottom of the still separate lists?

I thought USAir "West" was the "strong side" of the operation.
It certainly is in terms of ethics. As far as financially all we know for sure is in 2005 AWA was not bankrupt and USAirways was.
Why are their pilots being furloughed and bases closed?
Maybe it has something to do with fuel prices and slowing demand? Don't think for one second there won't be cuts on the East as well.
Is the blocked Nic the cause of furloughs from the bottom of the still separate lists?
The Nicolau list isn't in play yet. We have two seperate seniority lists and the company is free to furlough from each side as they desire.

I just watched Scott Kirby's last Pilot meeting on the hub. Look's like capacity reduction is in the works. He said they will look at all routes and the one losing the most money goes first, then the next, etc..etc. I think it's safe to say either side... East or West is not immune to this reduction. Let's hope for the best. At least we saw it coming after 9-11. In today's enviroment airlines are shutting down overnight without even a warning shot.

Last edited:
who's payscale is greater? i would think if there is no protection on who gets furloughed and who flies what whomever is making more per hr would be some of the first to go.

The west and east capacity has been shrunk over the last couple of years. Out west, I think everyone remembers our vacancy bids with shrinking headcounts. No more age 60 to help mitigate, so who knows. Just because a checkairman throws out a number doesn't mean that's what it will be. Checkairman have also told us in the past that we were getting NGs as opposed to French foam, and look what happened.

I'm hearing 200 West and 600 East.

West has a 120 minimum fleet number and with 8 737's leaving by January, the fleet should hit this number.

The East can be reduced by about 18 or so airplanes not counting the E190's. More cuts will be felt on the East.

Remember, just because Phoenix is cutting routes does not prevent the company from flying former east routes with west airplanes.

The 300's/400's on the east are going to go sooner than later.

I think right now it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when that we will see cutbacks at every airline. For the most part after the summer season. IMHO.

I believe this thread is much ado about nothing at the moment. Yes, that could change, but my guess is any cuts would use a top-down approach with buyouts, voluntary leaves, reduced line gaurantees and then furloughs - in that order. It's a very expensive proposition to furlough and displace...that expense includes 3-4 months of furlough and vacation pay to any furloughed West pilot per our contract.

who's payscale is greater?
See http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/legacy/us_airways.html
i would think if there is no protection on who gets furloughed and who flies what whomever is making more per hr would be some of the first to go.
Nope, that's not how it works. First, the company decreases block hours and then furloughs the excess pilots not needed to fly those hours. Our Transition Agreement was specifically written to prevent such inequities as you propose.

Latest resources

Back