• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Multi time or turbine better?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I worked for a part 135 that flew multi-engine pistons. We'd have pilots leave for the Caravan. Many of them later said they wished they'd hung around longer and got more multi before leaving. 500 hours seemed to be a benchmark. I think 1000 multi would be pretty safe in any economy, specially if you could get the time in a couple or few different types of planes.

get 200 multi

then as much turbine as u can

Many regionals will hire you with well under 200 ME if all your ducks are otherwise in order. I would say 75 ME is a good start and Ive known others who got hired with this time.

Submit apps, and go to class with whomever hires you. Once youve got some multi-turbine, you can move elsewhere. Some TP outfits will hire guys with a lot less time than some of the RJ operators.

So, let me understand this correctly. The airlines would prefer a pilot with recip, non pressurized twin below 15k over a pressurized turbine flying at flight levels?

You have it right there bud. Twin over single every day all day in the airline world. Wanna enhance a bit get into a king air or something similar.

So, let me understand this correctly. The airlines would prefer a pilot with recip, non pressurized twin below 15k over a pressurized turbine flying at flight levels?
My experience in hiring those guys who fly the single pilot piston twins is that almost without exception they are very good instrument pilots. They fly raw data in the clouds at night, non-precision instrument approaches into uncontrolled airports. Some of the weaker inst. pilots I have seen come out of the modern turbine airplanes with all the automation, coupled capability, and FMS technology.

Pilots get hired at good places because they have Turbine PIC, you must build turbine PIC to have control over your career. You have to go wherever that job is that gets you turbine PIC. You stay in that job until you can get another job that gives you better turbine PIC, i.e. Bigger airplanes, Turbojet, 121, etc. It is called paying your dues everyone must do it. Some do it in the military, some do it at the regionals, and some do in the on-demand business. Everyone pays his or her dues.

My experience in hiring those guys who fly the single pilot piston twins is that almost without exception they are very good instrument pilots. They fly raw data in the clouds at night, non-precision instrument approaches into uncontrolled airports. Some of the weaker inst. pilots I have seen come out of the modern turbine airplanes with all the automation, coupled capability, and FMS technology.

Pilots get hired at good places because they have Turbine PIC, you must build turbine PIC to have control over your career. You have to go wherever that job is that gets you turbine PIC. You stay in that job until you can get another job that gives you better turbine PIC, i.e. Bigger airplanes, Turbojet, 121, etc. It is called paying your dues everyone must do it. Some do it in the military, some do it at the regionals, and some do in the on-demand business. Everyone pays his or her dues.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.
My experience as well

Latest resources

Back