Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fussle

Oh John...
I have done a search, but didn't find much. So I was wondering if I could get some of your experiences for a multi-engine commercial checkride (instrument). I will probably begin training for this at a local airport in a 310R in a week or two. Right now I have been reading the POH and going through "everything explained for the professional pilot," as well as the jepp multi-engine book. I know I need to know the systems, but how in depth do I need to know them? Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Know COLD:
Prop
Engines
Hydraulics
Breaks
Gear
Vacuum
Pitot/Static
Electrical
Fuel

When I say know it "COLD" I mean...know how it works, what it is and what it does...drawing, IMHO, goes a bit too far on some systems *cough*electrical*cough*

Also know:
What is, affects and changes Vmc
Obviously know limitations in the aircraft

The 310R is a fun 'lil plane...fly 'r right and she'll do a lot for ya.

Have fun!...that's the most important part of flying twins.

-mini

yeah know everything that minitour said.. know your t/o brief backwards and forwards. know how to use all of the performance data on the airplane and be able to apply it. be able to explain vmc, and se engine aerodynamics. basically know your $hi1. good luck man.

Dead food, Dead engine

Mixtures, Props, Throttles, Flaps up, Gear up, Identify, Verify, Feather

Do the above SLOWLY yet assertively. Moving too fast can kill you!

I'm also assuming that he meant "dead fooT, dead engine"

What he said...there's no "!'s" on a checklist. Run the checklist swiftly, but not hurried.

And also the guy that brought up takeoff brief and performance data...know accel/stop, what it is and what it gives you...know accel/go, what it is and what it gives you.

I should have asked...is this an initial Commercial or a Class Rating add-on?

If it's the initial, obviously, you'll need the FAR 119 stuff in your head, VFR planning, maneuvers, etc. If it's the add-on, there's not much to the actual flight...some turns, SE Work, landings...enigne failures.

Oh...and know where the split is and how it works on what is a "light" twin and what isn't. Then know how "light" twins are split and how that works and what it means.

IE.
12,500#+ = Not your light twin
<12,500# = Light Twins further split by
6,000#+ = Has to show single engine climb rate
<6,000# = Has to determine single engine climb rate

Show and determine are two different words...why?

Know the accel/go gets you to 50' only.

There's not a lot to ME flying...but lots of knowledge. I guess, the more advanced they are, the more you become a systems manager...it all starts with your first twin. Like I said, the R310 is fun...fly 'r right and she'll do a lot fer ya.

Good luck and have fun!

-mini

This is for an add-on class rating to my commercial certificate

Flight will be easy then...some turns, approaches, se work, shut down and restart, landings.

Knowledge was what everyone threw together up top...

-mini

Do the above SLOWLY yet assertively. Moving too fast can kill you!

I'm also assuming that he meant "dead fooT, dead engine"

Read, speak, and understand English. The regs don't say anything about being able to TYPE it! :nuts:

THis is what my multi ride consisted of...systems information, Vmc, Vspeeds, weight/balance, T/O & landing distance, and engine out scenarios,Steep turns, slow flight, stalls, Vmc demo, engine shutdown and restart, crosswind T/o and lands, short field T/O and land, eninge out landings from base and from final, lastly I shot the ILS down to circling mins. on one engine

My oral wasnt too bad.. bout 30min. flight was 1.3

Latest resources

Back