• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MU-2, Pilot Perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flew the things for George Mall and IBA in Tulsa. We had the two air ambulance as well. Mainly I did the mail and check contracts.

Sorry, but didn't know anyone up there in TN. With the exception for Reese.
How about you? Know anyone at the old IBA (international business aircraft).

I'll take a be1900D into any 2000' strip, loaded or not. the same with any king air 200 or 350. also we can climb 4000 fpm lightly loaded and climb 500 fpm with one engine and the gear and flaps down. MU-2 is a death trap. the results speak for themselves.

The pilots speak for the airplane. A lack of training is the result for almost all the accidents (most of which were pilot OPPS). Rumors and more rumors is what gave the MU-2 it's bad rap. Granted, it dosen't fly like a freakin KingAir in which a monkey could fly, but it still's an airplane that requires a bit more attention.

Don't knock it if you haven't driven it. You can't compare the KingAir gallery 200,1900's to the MU-2.

For the record Reece's website is http://www.mu2b.com. He offers ground and flight training and is a designated examiner.

The MU-2 is a great airplane that has suffered more than it's share of accidents which have far and away been pilot error. You can ask Reece about that when you attend class. He is familiar with every accident in the MU-2 and that's the reason he started the school. Like the Aerostar and Malibu/Mirage it has unfairly (by some) been called a dangerous airplane. The fact that the FAA and NTSB did review it's type certificate and concluded the biggest shortcoming was pilot training says alot for the airplane. It does not fly like a light twin or King Air for that matter and if you fly it as such after an engine failure you are in trouble. But if you learn about the plane and become competent in it there are few things more fun to fly.

Thanks for the info. I just learned more about the MU-2 family in 30 minutes then I have learned in a long time. The numbers look great. I am curious why this aircraft never caught on in Alaska or better yet in Africa in mission field type operations. It seems to have what really is needed in Africa.

A good friend of ours crashed in an MU-2 many years ago at Love in Dallas and really messed himself up, landed short of the runway. Another friend who teaches seminars across the country uses the airplane a lot and loves it.

I grew up with a neighbor who was a corporate pilot. He was well into his 50s with about 24,000 hours (most in biz jets) when the MU-2 caused the first blemish on his record. He piled up the MU-2 on a landing when (as I recall) the props went into reverse before he flared. The NTSB had investigated several similar crashes and this was the first time they got to talk to the flight crew. I think this was 1985, so some of my recollection may be fuzzy. I presume an AD has corrected this and these early accidents may somewhat skew the accident record.

The above accident was because of pilot error. Props do not go into beta for no reason let alone two at the same time. You have to manually pull the power levers up then back for the props to go into beta. There was an AD for the power levers but it is in reference to the beta follow-up following a engine lose. Instead of pulling the power lever back like most recips, you push it forward. Weird I know.

Glad you friend was ok though.

Latest resources

Back