MSP-CLE commute

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

norskman2

Any XJet folks commute from MSP to CLE? How commutable is it?

I've heard CLE has many commutable lines, but it seems there's not many flights between MSP & CLE, even between XJet and NWA.

I think that most people that don't live in CLE or Commute to ORD, commute to MSP. I 'm pretty sure we got 4 rj flights a day and NWA has a few airbus and dc-9 and mesaba ARJ flights. How many flights do you need? The thing you have to remember about CLE is that it goes to bed pretty early...around 8:30pm for the last push except for a few lingering cities however but CLE-MSP is like that. MSP IMHO would be a good place to commute from since you can goto all 3 hubs on either Cal/Calex or NWA/Airlink. I know a few guys who used to commtue from MSP to CLE. Alot of them commute MSP to IAH now but thats for better lines and holding CApt and stuuff.. I don't commute and I don't really want to. Its like a whole extra job on top..but to each his/her own.....good luck.

norskman2 said:
Any XJet folks commute from MSP to CLE? How commutable is it?

I've heard CLE has many commutable lines, but it seems there's not many flights between MSP & CLE, even between XJet and NWA.
Have you applied yet?

why not Pinnacle or Mesaba if your living in MSP? Are they not hiring? Honetly I think in general you might be more happy living where you worked and especially working in your home city. Just my 2 cents. Not trying to steer you away just somin to think about. Best of luck my friend.

Paul,

Thanks for the replies. I have friends who are captains at Mesaba and Pinnacle who could help with LORs and walking in my application.

But I have some QOL issues. I'm 44 and a single dad. It would take me several years of part-time CFI-ing to get enough hours. Mesaba is only hiring for attrition, with guys who've been on reserve since 2001, so I'd likely be on reserve for a long time and not in MSP.

Flight Safety Academy is about to start a bridge program for XJet, and despite what folks might say about it being PFT/shortcut/whatever, it may be my best shot to get on with a regional before I turn 50.

Plus, it looks like XJet may still have some room to grow, with its 100 Embraer options, potential acquisitions if USAirways liquidates, etc.

I've flown with many MSP-CLE commuters. Matter of fact, I fly with one next month. I don't recall ever hearing any of them complain about the commute. Xjet runs a reduced schedule on Tuesday and Wednesday in CLE so there isn't an early MSP-CLE flight. In those cases, they take NWA. The CLE-MSP evening flight leaves somewhere around 8:30PM but I don't know about NWA. Also, as an Xjet employee you can buy passes on NWA (I think at even a better rate than an ID90) due to the CAL/NWA codeshare, so you're not limited by jumpseat availability.

I admire your desire for a mid-life career change, but you may be basing your decision on a number of assumptions, some or all of which may not pan out.

With 320 hours, you still have a long way to go before you'll be competitive at a regional, even XJT. Although they've lowered their mins to 600/100 (or so I've heard), that doesn't mean you'll get the job. Most people who interview here aren't offered a position. I don't know anything about this bridge program you mentioned, but again, there are no guarantees you'll get a job here. Regardless, it'll still take some time.

Yes, we're getting another 30 or so airplanes, but any growth beyond that is strictly speculation. Continental is very conservative when it comes to growth and I seriously doubt we'll see any major expansion if/when USAir folds. CAL management has made it clear that they are not interested in being the largest airline out there, and I can't say I blame them. As for the 100 options that XJT has, they're just that: options. Until they're parked on the ramp with your butt strapped in 'em, they don't exist. Also, XJT is dealing with three expired or expiring labor contracts: pilots, mechanics and flight attendants. Until those are settled, nothing is going to happen.

And don't forget that our agreement with CAL expires in 2007. While I think we'll continue to fly under the CAL banner, I also think that the new agreement will include provisions that could affect our growth (ie, letting other contract carriers pick up CAL jet flying).

I'm trying to figure out if you live in CLE or MSP, but don't assume you're going to get a job at Mesaba/Pinnacle or XJT. Even if you do, there is the real possibility that you'll get on at the tail end of the hiring cycle, which means you'll be sitting reserve for a long time. If you live in CLE and happen to get hired at XJT, that may not be too bad; just have a plan in place to dump the kid(s) with less than two hours of notice.

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom, just realistic. At 44, I would bet that you're not doing this for the money. That leaves QOL, which is non-existant if you're at the bottom of the list. Just something to think about, especially if you're a single parent and you may not be in a position to move.

scabseeker said:
If he was really that worried about quality of life he would have moved out of MSP a long time ago.
Looking forward to doing walkarounds in 30 below zero with a balmy seventy below wind chill

Latest resources

Back