Mormons and Frisbee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATL2CDG said:
The only 'scriptures' recognized are the OT, NT, BoM, Pearl of Great Price and the Doctrines and Covenants.
I looked up some of the tracts and books about cults in the Christian Light Book Store had today, and one thing that took my notice among many was that the BoM says that God was a man.

Now you might be able to see that the majority of Christians don't even view Mormonism as a legitimate part of the Protestant movement when its authority outrightly contradicts basic theology as laid out in the Bible.

There's other examples as well, dealing with the deity of Christ and His inception, the Holy Spirit, forgiveness of sins, the concept of the Trinity and the idea of working off your sin, as if Christ's saving grace were somehow not enough.

So all in all, after learning a little bit about the Mormon religion, I think even less of it. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd buy a couple of books on it so I'd be more conversant should I ever have to deal with a Mormon, because if they believe what is in the BoM, they are not inline with Christian theology.

With complete innocence and simply wanting to carry on the coversation (albeit WAY off topic from the original post):

Who sets the definition for Christian theology?

I would assume that many of the text which you read were coming from an 'anti-Mormon' viewpoint. As the trite English idiom says, 'Every story has two sides'; I wouldn't think 'anti-Mormon' literature would present a full picture of Mormon theology. As such, I would recommend that peruse some literature published by the LDS church (or one of its subsidiaries, such as Deseret) to get a more complete picture.

I don't think reading their material is going to do any more for me after reading a side by side comparison of the Book of Mormon (quoted with chapter and verse) and the Bible. If you want to get right down to what the words say, the Book of Mormon is way off base from anything Jesus said or what the the Apostles have written in the Epistles, or what the Old Testament has to say about the nature of God.

Furthermore, I can do a detailed word study in the Hebrew and the Greek, but you can't do that for the Book of Mormon. And the only authority they took it to testified later in his own words that what was presented to him was gibberish. (Although this not what they said he said at the time.)

Now you're out of the LDS, but still defend it. If any reading this are still in the LDS, then they need to spend time researching just exactly what the BoM says versus what the Bible says (and they can use some of these tracts to see where the differences are) so they can determine if they are going to follow Jesus or Joseph Smith Jr.

First,

I did not say you have to believe the BofM or you are closed minded, I was merely pointing out that you can't just say it is false because they haven't ever discovered artifacts (or Horses) from the time period yet. Have they found everything the Bible talks about to have physical evidence of it?

Second,

As for Super 80, reading anti-mormon rhetoric is in no way proof that the B of M contradicts the Bible, most the anti-mormon sites are full of bogus info and mis-stated facts. If that is what .....oh nevermind, not worth the effort......

ANYWAY,

just saying when you only look at one point of view, you can hardly consider that a well rounded view. I have no problem if you have read and heard both sides of this issue and develop your own opinion, but there is no reason to go bashing a religion because of your one-sided opinions. Everyone has their beliefs and they should be respected and appreciated for the good they do. Any faith that condones bashing of others because of their beliefs has some serious issues if they think that is the Christian way of acting and treating others. I have met people from all different faiths that are doing great things, and I have tons of respect for their way of living, regardless of what religion they are affiliated with.

Super 80 said:
If any reading this are still in the LDS, then they need to spend time researching just exactly what the BoM says versus what the Bible says (and they can use some of these tracts to see where the differences are) so they can determine if they are going to follow Jesus or Joseph Smith Jr.

I believe that you would be the proverbial dog chasing its tail trying to convert Mormons with this tactic. Most fervent Mormons have unwaivering faith in their beliefs, and one of those beliefs is that the Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the gospel. Moreover, they further believe that the Book of Mormon is in complete harmony with the Gospel of Christ as written in both the Old and New Testaments, insofar as they are translated correctly. By that last bit, they mean that it most be in concordance with what is in the Book of Mormon and what has been revealed through "Latter-Day" revelation. So, as shocking as it may seem to you, Super 80, in Mormon eyes, it is you who has gotten the Scriptures wrong. Faced with their beliefs, I don't see how you can trump them with comparative scripture studies; it simply doesn't phase them. One rubs the bleary eyes!

Although, I suppose it is marginally more entertaining than watching frisbee.

Holy chit! I had no idea this thread would get to be 4 pages..:eek: :p

insofar as they are translated correctly.

This sounds like contract language, ie "the companys best efforts" clauses.

Although they probably won't admit it, Mormonism is a blind faith. I have talked to a number of missionaries that were doing the walk n knock and when asked why they believe that the BoM is true, they reply that they just have faith that it is true, despit the lack of evidence of discovery and translation of the BoM.

JJJ:

The same could be said of the broader Christian faith. Faith is, in fact, the belief of things unseen. No one in this forum saw the life of Christ. No one saw his cruxifiction. No one saw his resurrection. No one witnessed the 'divine inspiration' of the various authors of the various books of the Old and New Testaments. Yet, billions of people have faith in the stories, lessons and doctrines present.

Even within the hundreds of Protestant faiths, there exist thousands of interpretations. From enfant baptism and predestination to wine or grape juice at Communion and the authority of the priesthood, Christians have come to read and understand the text of the holy scriptures differently. Yet, for some reason, Mormons have, since their organization in the 1830s, have been the focus of a higher-than-normal level of scrutiny. Those people who take the time to actually study the teachings of the COJCOLDS interestingly find that many of the 'odd' or 'non-Christian' beliefs are based in scripture.

The various denominations of the Christian faith have always bickered over 'who has it right'; in fact, that was the cause of the Protestant split from Rome. And sadly, in many cases, you can find individual churches of the same denomination condemning the teachings or actions of fellow congregations! It is unfortunate that human passions often turn to violence or ridicule when it comes to things of faith. However, until the ultimate truth is known, I fear nothing will change.

In any case, the 11th LDS Article of Faith states : We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Latest resources

Back