More valuable military flight time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywiz

Out of curiousity, which military pilot do you think would have a better chance of getting hired at a major...

A military pilot with tons of flight time doing military / tactical type flying (not flying pt A to pt B) or

A military pilot with less flight time but instead doing cargo/transport type flying(similar to airline flying) ?

or is it purely amount of flight time that matters regardless of mission?

Its all PIC time

Single seat fighters baby is the way to go! You log ALL PIC, turbine, over 20K lbs on every hop. Nearly every hour logged is 'hands-on' flying. Many of my 'heavy' AF buds had significantly more total flying time then I when I retired but could not match my PIC time from flying fighters for 19 years. However, ANY mil flight time will be the best professional flight experience you'll ever see.

Happy Holidays

Either, but...

I thought the way I did it worked out okay. Flew heavies for a couple of years, then went to the T-37 as an IP. 450 hours a year of trainer time (most airlines lump this in with tactical), all hands on, all PIC. Worked out well (except for the whole furlough thing). I was called by most majors long before my "all heavy" buds did.

Sluggo

PIC, no matter the airframe is the big factor.

You can get a lot as either a fighter guy, instructor, or a career heavy guy. But thats the number that matters.

Tactical Tweet!

As h8 said, single-seat PIC is best. But there's a catch. Unless you spend a lot of years in a fighter, you won't end up with much total time. A 'good' year is around 250 hours. Heavy guys fly all over the globe and get tons more time. A mix of both would be ideal.

Sluggo,did someone actually consider the Tweet a 'tactical' aircraft? No way!

Single seat fighter time is definately the best. I don't know of any airline that operates a flight crew.

Latest resources

Back