• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More UPS info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I might have to disagree with ya YIP, I think hr wants people they can manage and pilot skill be damned they look for the degree since they know those peeps jumped thru that hoop? Just my hillbilly reasoning?!

I might have to disagree with ya YIP, I think hr wants people they can manage and pilot skill be damned they look for the degree since they know those peeps jumped thru that hoop? Just my hillbilly reasoning?!
I can verify from my experience the possession of a college does not mean a person is manageable, nor does it mean they have the material to become a Captain. In fact the trait that normally proves to be the most manageable is a military background. We love hiring vets. We give a basic intelligence test as part fo our hiring process. Above average basic intelligence is normally the foundation of the good employee, they can look beyond themselves. Many college grads have trouble with this test, many high school grads ace it. The trouble with the HR wiz is that they are most likely degreed and can not believe anyone could be a good as them without a degree.

I can verify from my experience the possession of a college does not mean a person is manageable, nor does it mean they have the material to become a Captain. In fact the trait that normally proves to be the most manageable is a military background. We love hiring vets. We give a basic intelligence test as part fo our hiring process. Above average basic intelligence is normally the foundation of the good employee, they can look beyond themselves. Many college grads have trouble with this test, many high school grads ace it. The trouble with the HR wiz is that they are most likely degreed and can not believe anyone could be a good as them without a degree.

That's what is referred to as anecdotal evidence.

For those without a college education: The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be true but unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.

That's what is referred to as anecdotal evidence.

For those without a college education: The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be true but unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases.
Brilliant and confirms what I have saying all along, from my experience in a bottom feeder airline, I have discovered that the college degree has nothing to do with being a successful pilot, however the basic intelligence test is the best predictor. Smarter pilots are better pilots.

Robert Lovett, WWII Asst Sec of War for Air, may have saved the US in WWII. He showed we needed quantity, not some imagined quality. We will need 100K pilots per year, we will not get that many physically qualified college educated pilots. He said the college was not needed to fly an airplane, so he devised a test to identify those traits and knowledge levels needed to be successful in pilot training. He found that many college educated people could not pass this test, but many high school graduates could. These 19 year old pilots proved their worth all over the globe, flying equipment under conditions that would test almost all of us on this board.

This test is still in use my all the services in screening their potential pilot candidates.

Nothing to get over, just the facts mam, just the facts. Just watch it is coming, maybe not at UPS/DAL but almost everywhere else. with the experience shortage coming, the degree will be secondary to the ability to fly an airplane

So...... somebody who was qualified in the mid to late 90's for the majors and have 10,000+ hrs of flt. time around: the world, the US, South America, etc. and have flown the 767, DC10, L1011, 747, MD80, 737, etc, but almost exclusively as a FO; due to no fault of their own, but the fact that the companies they worked for didn't make it for one reason or another and they have had to jump ship and start over and over again. They now, according to your thinking are less qualified than a young "starting out" pilot in his early to mid 20's who got to upgrade in a crj after 1-2 years and now have 1300 hrs of jet PIC time and 4000 hrs total time is more qualified than the other "Inexperienced FO - but very experienced pilot" because he might only have 500-900 hrs of turbine PIC time???????????

I know at least 10 - 15 pilots in this exact situation, and don't come and tell me that they are not qualified for UPS, VN, DL, FedEx or anyone else...

Last edited:
1678, I think somewhere you missed Yip's point. And no UPS will not be hiring soon, unless you are management!

Yip unfortunately the kids @ hr decide your fate, so Im going to get my degree. Still have over 30years to fly so it will probably pay off?

So...... somebody who was qualified in the mid to late 90's for the majors and have 10,000+ hrs of flt. time around: the world, the US, South America, etc. and have flown the 767, DC10, L1011, 747, MD80, 737, etc, but almost exclusively as a FO; due to no fault of their own, but the fact that the companies they worked for didn't make it for one reason or another and they have had to jump ship and start over and over again. They now, according to your thinking are less qualified than a young "starting out" pilot in his early to mid 20's who got to upgrade in a crj after 1-2 years and now have 1300 hrs of jet PIC time and 4000 hrs total time is more qualified than the other "Inexperienced FO - but very experienced pilot" because he might only have 500-900 hrs of turbine PIC time???????????

I know at least 10 - 15 pilots in this exact situation, and don't come and tell me that they are not qualified for UPS, VN, DL, FedEx or anyone else...

The fact is that individual airlines determine their hiring requirements and if you want to get an interview you need to meet (or greatly exceed) those requirements. Right or wrong it is what it is and you can argue all you want about the merits of a college degree, PIC time, type rating or whatever but it won't get you an interview so why waste your breath. You either have what they want or you don't have it. If you don't have it and you want to work there you better get it............get it?

Latest resources

Back