More Questions for NetJet Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AirBear8

Now that I've been hired I've got a few questions on the decisions I'll have to make. This is relatively minor stuff but if you're sitting around the FBO bored perhaps you can give some advice.

First is the medical plans. I live in CLT with my wife and no kids. My wife has insurance from her job that will be primary for her. Any opinions on what plan is best? We both have used the same Doctor for many years so a consideration in any HMO would be if his practice is in the plan. I had United Healthcare at US Airways several years ago. They were ok me me, but I had a hell of a time getting them to pay secondary claims for my wife after her insurance had paid their max.

Second is the credit card. I think I heard at the meet and greet that the company card jumpstarts you with 40,000 FF miles each year. Is this the best deal or should I look around for a card with the best cash kickback? My wife travels 2 or 3 times a year and won't risk non-rev travel so we do buy some tickets. Also, with the company card do you still pay the bill and file for reimbursement or is the company billed directly?

Thanks guys!

AirBear

screw the company card if you can float some money. You get wayyyyy more points than 40k. Especially hilton. Took the wife on a 3 week european excursion last year on hilton points. cost 500,000 points but we didn't spend a dime.

Airline over there was buisness class with air france miles.

Rental car was with hertz and american express miles.

You did not get 500,000 Hilton points in one year by using you AMEX on company charges. You charged maybe $20K on company business. Is that 100,000 Hilton points? I got 300,000 Hilton points and I don't have a HH Optima card.

I don't know... I used the Southwest Visa and get 10 to 12 free roundtrips per year... plus companion pass. But not all of those RTs were from the card. maybe 2 RT were from using the visa on company business.

You always can get on the company card later if you find floating cash is not worth it. But the Company Insurance you must select NOW.

Actually i got 250,000 hilton points last year. A combination of normal hilton charges on my diamond card. Then 5 points for every dollar spent at a hilton on my hilton amex. It all adds up way more than the 40k the company gives you. No thanks.

So 5 points on $20K in charges is 100,000 points because you use the AMEX HH card. enough for maybe 3 nights in a Hilton.

Not enough for me to wait 3 weeks for my expense check instead of 3 days direct deposited.

Plus it cost me $5 to mail my expense report to CMH then $5 to mail my expense check to my bank. $10 per tour. $200 to $230 per year just to deposit my checks. Almost as much as those 3 free nights at the Hilton are worth.

First of all. Welcome aboard!

Have to agree with Gunfyter on this one. My two cents.... Aetna vs. the union plan (united healthcare). Aetna does not try to deny claims or obfuscate their billing, so much easier to see where the money goes. Aetna PPO/HMO is a vast network, get online and check for your doctor. As far as the company card vs. your own...The company deal is much more convenient with website expense reporting and direct deposit. Not waiting for the mail system with thousands of your dollars floating around is more than worth a few points. Still love ya Diesel, and thanks again for the refreshments!!

While using my own card my identity was stolen 3 times in 6 years here. Had to have card cancelled and thousands of dollars in false charges took time to remove. Also took a while to get reissued a new card each time. had to notify Sprint Dishnetwork and others of changed credit card numbers for automatic payments i had setup... to help me get more POINTS.

Also the company delays payment of some charges if you use your own card and something is not right on the hotel receipt.

This is what pushed me over the edge last december to switch to company card.

Since I been here 6 years I am more broke than new guys. I need all the money on my expenses paid on time. I have a Little League and Select league baseball habit to support.

Latest resources

Back