More attacks on scope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan Roman

I plead ignorance compared to some on this subject as my airline doesn't allow RJ express flying in our name, but..... I saw this in the Dec. issue of Air Transport World.
Trans States has ordered in large numbers of the new 78 and 92 seat MRJ.

Here is what their CEO said:
"He is keenly aware that an aircraft with more than 70 seats would violate scope clauses in the labor agreements between major airlines and their pilots unions.
He is hopeful there will be relaxations in scope that will enable mainline carriers to take advantage of the economics of larger RJ's.
During the 2001-04 crisis most US Airlines were able to to achieve a bit of leeway with their pilots on this issue, but not nearly as much as analysts had expected, and 70-75 seats remain the de-facto line in the sand for aircraft flown by regional partners.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is it pretty arrogant for this guy to order 100 78 and 92 seat jets thinking he can get contracts for them at existing carriers?

Is it just me or is it pretty arrogant for this guy to order 100 78 and 92 seat jets thinking he can get contracts for them at existing carriers?

Yes very arrogant. I'm sure the contracts have a "get out of jail card" associated, in case no such contracts manifest. The new ********************subishi jet is looking for any orders it can to show legitimacy so they are willing to ink unlikely contingency deals.

Isn't Jetblue taking advantage of this size of jet right now? Just have them at mainline.

What did that F100 hold that AMR and USAir used to fly?

Didn't SkyWest and other DCI carriers order CRJ-900 with the hope that DAL scope would be relaxed? I haven't seen the seat configuration for a -900, but I'm under the impression the plane is made for closer to 100 seats.

I wonder how that scope negotiation and gamble these DCI carriers made is going.

Didn't SkyWest and other DCI carriers order CRJ-900 with the hope that DAL scope would be relaxed? I haven't seen the seat configuration for a -900, but I'm under the impression the plane is made for closer to 100 seats.

I wonder how that scope negotiation and gamble these DCI carriers made is going.

They were purchased after the scope configuration was agreed to 76 seats.....another camel under the tent!

They were purchased after the scope configuration was agreed to 76 seats.....another camel under the tent!

I think they were ordered before the scope was agreed too. I remember asking one of the reps about it and was told they will just have to fly them at 70 seats. I also seem to remember they were actually flown at 70 seats for a while before the new scope kicked in.

Go Jets was created to get around a contract and ALPA didn't fight hard. Why would they be expected to fight hard if express carriers started to fly 100 seat jets?

because it's the end of the profession if regional pilots fly 100 seats for pennys that's why...everything is over as we know it.

Latest resources

Back