• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More 717s for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, that would be great. I think RA and others in management have figured out that the 717 is a good RJ replacement. The Regionals are having tough times maintaining current schedules due to dwindling pilot numbers, and it will only get worse. DL doesn't have a problem yet getting new pilots, and more 717s combined with fewer frequencies to smaller cities (3 daily 717 flights vs 6 RJ flights) will keep passengers flowing into DL hubs with the same number of seats. Genius move, and I hope DL goes after these particular planes, and continues to try to get as many 717s as possible. The combination of expensive RJs and fewer pilots available to fly them is a problem, and more 717s could definitely be a solution. Maybe some new C-series planes at mainline could replace 70 seaters next.(CR7s)

Bye Bye---General Lee

What about the Emb-190?

What about the Emb-190?

I would think they have looked at the product via some of the DCI E170s/175s. But, the aquistion costs of the current 88 were a great lease deal via SWA paying for the refurb and new paint. Now that DL will get at least 88 of them, they may just go for more, and it appears airlines like Blue1 may be interested in replacing theirs. Everyone wins if the planes don't get parked for good, but they have to make sense and are able to produce profits. If you only had 9 total, it might be more expensive to store parts etc. Delta won't have that problem.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Any RJ under 70 seats will be a beer can in about 5-7 years. You guys have got to pay attention.

As for the costing the segment costs for the CRJ and the DC9 were identical. So DL could put 50 seats or 125 seats on the same segment for the same price. The ONLY reason the 50 seaters are still being used is due to the contracts that are still in place. Make no mistake they are gone at the first opportunity.

The 717 is an RJ replacement without a doubt. I can't say that the sector costs are that much more, but given the reliability issues of the contract carriers DL is no longer gambling on them. Period. I find it amazing that they are still utilizing them for the EMB-175s. So DL will never pay the contract carriers more money for what they can do better at the same costs. That's called smart management opposed to trying to whipsaw pilot groups.

As opposed to 2158? Piss of kid you're annoying!

Hey you dumb dildo, if you don't like my comments

1) stop commenting on them
2) put me on ignore

And also, when attempting to insult someone, please use correct grammar. Piss of kid? Freaking numbskull

Hey you dumb dildo, if you don't like my comments

1) stop commenting on them
2) put me on ignore

And also, when attempting to insult someone, please use correct grammar. Piss of kid? Freaking numbskull

Well done pecker head! You finally got the "o" in off, JACKOFF!
Get back to arguing and playing with yourself, you've become quite good at it. And so have you!

Well done pecker head! You finally got the "o" in off, JACKOFF!
Get back to arguing and playing with yourself, you've become quite good at it. And so have you!

Still responding to my posts?

crj and the dc-9 costs the same?
So maybe fuel would be the same per pax?
Or maybe you are talking about the pilots cost? I think not
Or maybe that the DC-9's were paid for and the CRJ 2's were not? If that were the case, I think the wholly owned crj200's would have been parked all at once and the DC9's would have been kept around for longer. Under that logic, then for the last 15 years Delta and every major has been scrambling to use something that actually costs more than what they have in house? Once again, I think not.

I think the switch to bigger aircraft has a lot more to do with the knowledge that Delta knows that they will not be able to staff the 50 seaters given the future (next 5 years) ahead of us at the regionals. There just are no pilots in the education system because they are not willing to rack up $100k of debt they cannot pay back and cannot default on. Every First Officer at Endeavor or any other regional that has 5-7 years as an FO should be on every message board accessed by future aviation college kids and tell them what its like to pay back loans at the rates they are getting paid. That is the problem. Not inefficient crj 200's. I think its better to say?..it makes more financial sense to put larger AC on routes for reliability and higher profitability (which brings in more factors I will ignore).

j

Last edited:
crj and the dc-9 costs the same?
So maybe fuel would be the same per pax?
Or maybe you are talking about the pilots cost? I think not
Or maybe that the DC-9's were paid for and the CRJ 2's were not? If that were the case, I think the wholly owned crj200's would have been parked all at once and the DC9's would have been kept around for longer. Under that logic, then for the last 15 years Delta and every major has been scrambling to use something that actually costs more than what they have in house? Once again, I think not.

I think the switch to bigger aircraft has a lot more to do with the knowledge that Delta knows that they will not be able to staff the 50 seaters given the future (next 5 years) ahead of us at the regionals. There just are no pilots in the education system because they are not willing to rack up $100k of debt they cannot pay back and cannot default on. Every First Officer at Endeavor or any other regional that has 5-7 years as an FO should be on every message board accessed by future aviation college kids and tell them what its like to pay back loans at the rates they are getting paid. That is the problem. Not inefficient crj 200's. I think its better to say?..it makes more financial sense to put larger AC on routes for reliability and higher profitability (which brings in more factors I will ignore).

j

DL isn't having problems recruiting new pilots, and likely won't for years. I think it's a combination of two problems, inefficient 50 seaters and potential for fewer available pilots down the road, or eventually. That's where the 88 717s and any other 717s they can find will come in. They can take the place of two RJ flights and employ people who want to be there, flying to cities that 76 seaters or even current 50 seaters fly to. DL would have direct oversight over the training of the employees, and adherence to the brand standards.

But, there will be huge retirements at all 3 legacies, and that alone will take 15,000 pilots from the Military (fewer pilots out there), LCCs, and the Regionals. That alone will accelerate RJ parking, not to mention the lack of pilots coming from places like UND and Riddle.

I think anyone with any Jet PIC will have a pick of their choice of Legacies eventually. Then pilots with any jet time will be next. My advice to any RJ pilot who might want to go to a legacy and who feels stuck at a Regional with current stagnation or downsizing and lack of an upgrade available, go to a LCC. The Legacies will probably poach pilots from them too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

DL isn't having problems recruiting new pilots, and likely won't for years. I think it's a combination of two problems, inefficient 50 seaters and potential for fewer available pilots down the road, or eventually. That's where the 88 717s and any other 717s they can find will come in. They can take the place of two RJ flights and employ people who want to be there, flying to cities that 76 seaters or even current 50 seaters fly to. DL would have direct oversight over the training of the employees, and adherence to the brand standards.

But, there will be huge retirements at all 3 legacies, and that alone will take 15,000 pilots from the Military (fewer pilots out there), LCCs, and the Regionals. That alone will accelerate RJ parking, not to mention the lack of pilots coming from places like UND and Riddle.

I think anyone with any Jet PIC will have a pick of their choice of Legacies eventually. Then pilots with any jet time will be next. My advice to any RJ pilot who might want to go to a legacy and who feels stuck at a Regional with current stagnation or downsizing and lack of an upgrade available, go to a LCC. The Legacies will probably poach pilots from them too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Whoa, wait...Delta is getting 88 717's?

Latest resources

Back