Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mitral Valve Prolapse, INFORMATION? PLEASE.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.mvprolapse.com/mvp.html

I believe someone very close to me has this. They have a doctors appointment scheduled for tomorrow.

Though it is not life threatening, and is benign, according to the internet, I was wondering if anyone has any more information on it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I figured someone might know something since there are so many people on this website.

Any dads out there with daughters, or husbands/boyfriends have girls with this?

I was diagnosed with it 11 or so years ago. It is about as serious as needing braces in most cases and it runs in families. The symptoms were scary though. I had it checked extensively before getting my first medical many years ago. I personally believe the symptoms result from an imbalance in the body, not the heart valve. I don't know what doctors are saying these days. People with this anomoly tend to me more sensitive than others to medications and unnecessary chemicals for some reason. I have since detoxed, quite taking unnecessary medications and cut out several bad things from my diet like diet cokes, processed foods, etc... Symptom free for 10 years. Now I drink coffee, mountain bike, run, and I don't even take any antibiotics when i get my teeth cleaned. etc. It is not affecting my life in any way. In fact, it hasn't been detected for years in any medicals.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Just curious, could you go a bit more in depth into the symptoms. Friend who has this is still waiting on test results.

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Mine was first diagnosed during my first flight physical. I agree with the last post. Basically harmless. I had to jump through a few FAA hoops first time around. Have had a first class medical for 18 years. Symptom: heart fluttering. Does seem to come and go depending on diet/stress.

Hobbs said:
Mine was first diagnosed during my first flight physical. I agree with the last post. Basically harmless. I had to jump through a few FAA hoops first time around. Have had a first class medical for 18 years. Symptom: heart fluttering. Does seem to come and go depending on diet/stress.

thanks for the info guys

Metro,

I read your post and can pretty much answer any questions you have. I HAD MVP for 31 years. It kept me out of the military, but I was certified by the FAA after 23 months of testing. My regurgitation was only 10% at the time. Over the years it got worse to the point of 50% leakage. I was given 5 years to live unless I had surgery, and was of course removed from flying. I had open heart surgery to fix my mitral valve. I was back flying 2 months later. I still hold a 1st class medical under special issuance. My only restriction is annual cardiac follow up reports. The FAA has been pretty good with me, and ALPA medical has been worth every penny of dues. Let me know if I can help.

bandit317 said:
Metro,

I read your post and can pretty much answer any questions you have. I HAD MVP for 31 years. It kept me out of the military, but I was certified by the FAA after 23 months of testing. My regurgitation was only 10% at the time. Over the years it got worse to the point of 50% leakage. I was given 5 years to live unless I had surgery, and was of course removed from flying. I had open heart surgery to fix my mitral valve. I was back flying 2 months later. I still hold a 1st class medical under special issuance. My only restriction is annual cardiac follow up reports. The FAA has been pretty good with me, and ALPA medical has been worth every penny of dues. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks a ton for the PM Bandit!

Great info Bandit. My dad, a retired SAC and retired airline pilot now, has it also. Diagnosed many years back while in SAC. He did go through much testing in SAT. He had a long and flaweless career. Have a brother (major airline pilot) that has it, though not military. To my knowledge, it has never been an issue for him either. Best of luck to your friend.

Latest resources

Back