Missles deployed around Washington DC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty Webb said:
...some politicians couldn't seem to grasp that a simple, econonmical solution was readily available.
I know this is a terrible thing to say, but maybe it would have been better if UAL-93 had made it to D.C. a year ago instead of going down in Pennsylvania. It might have sped up the thought processes on Captiol Hill quite a bit.

I guess this puts to rest the rumor that pre - 9/11 the White House was armed with S.A.M.'s

Geeez.....

I'd hate to be the poor student pilot that breaks the restriction around DC now. I think the best way to fly from Maryland to Maryland these days is by way of Pennsylvania.....

It makes no sense. the complete lack of coordination between the FAA and NORAD makes it unreasonable to assume air defenses at the white house. the secret service at the white house called the ANG unit at Andrews AFB for help in scrambling fighters. some of which were unarmed. interesting article below about the fighter pilots that flew that day and the chaos. The title of the article is "F-16 pilots considered ramming flight 93"

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_awst.jsp?view=story&id=news/aw090971.xml

Does anybody really think that they'd try and take over aircraft again?

All Ali-fugazi-bin-ahmed-tabouli has to do is sit quietly in his seat while his positive bag matched, checked luggage with the C4 does all the work. Remember, they are suicide bombers, so they'll gladly get on the plane.

Pity the poor guy that gets lost in his 172 this weekend. I would say that there would be 6 or more Patriot trails heading right for him.

It makes no sense. the complete lack of coordination between the FAA and NORAD makes it unreasonable to assume air defenses at the white house. the secret service at the white house called the ANG unit at Andrews AFB for help in scrambling fighters. some of which were unarmed. interesting article below about the fighter pilots that flew that day and the chaos. The title of the article is "F-16 pilots considered ramming flight 93"

BigR, I'd daresay that very few people on this board know what coordination procedures do currently exist between the White House/Secret Service and NORAD. Those who do will naturally not say what those procedures are.

The story you quote is quite interesting and says a lot about the flexibility of our Air Force pilots. I believe that Navy or Marine pilots, had they been called to task, would have performed equally well during those hectic first hours after the attacks. I'm frankly not surprised at the lack of communication during at time, as no one anticipated such a frighteningly effective use of our own civilian aircraft.

Don't assume that previous issues haven't been worked out--I'm comfortable flying into Dulles and JFK tomorrow. But I'm going to be careful nonetheless.

Latest resources

Back