Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpeedBug

Per CNN and MSNBC

As part of an "exercise" anti-aircraft missle batteries are now deployed on jeeps around Washington including the Pentagon. The "exercise" will envolve 300 troops and last for a few days.

MSNBC said Rummy ordered the missiles around DC.

Air defense systems deployed around D.C.
Pentagon says it is an exercise

September 9, 2002 Posted: 5:41 PM EDT (2141 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. military has deployed ground-based air defenses around Washington for the next few days in an exercise described "as a prudent" measure.

Pentagon officials said this week's exercise had been planned for several weeks and was not in response to any specific threat.

The exercise, dubbed "Clear Skies," involves about 300 people and augments the 24-hour air patrols over Washington with portable ground defenses.

The defenses include Sentinel radar, Avenger air defense systems, and hand-held Stinger missiles set up at various military installations in the area, including the Pentagon.

The Avenger is a portable short-range air defense system mounted on a Humvee vehicle that is capable of firing eight Stinger missiles in rapid succession.

Officials said the exercise would involve some live weapons, with tight restrictions to guard against accident firings.

An Avenger missile system observed at the Pentagon did not appear to have any Stinger missiles in its launchers.

The exercise involves units from NORAD, the Air Force, the Navy, the Army, the Customs Service, the Federal Aviation Administration and the Secret Service.

When they give you your clearance and it includes "P56 avoidance procedures", please look that one up if you haven't done it before! Sounds like these boys mean business, as they should.

If that clown Magaw had gotten behind the initiative to arm pilots from the beginning, they wouldn't have had to screw around with missiles, overflights, etc.

Unfortunately, some politicians couldn't seem to grasp that a simple, econonmical solution was readily available.

If that is true then it might give some sense of security to those on the ground there and that is good. My town didn't get attacked last year so I don't know what that feels like. I'll bet it is hard to get over and more power to them if they want to beef up security in those areas.

RT

Wow!

Got to hand it to the gov-er-ment on this one! Missles around DC, LGA and DCA look like Fort Knox, we start a sabre-rattling song and dance about Iraq. They have really laid down the rules for this September 11. (I love the Iraq thing - think about it - one little terrorist thing in the US and we'll be all over Bagdhad like white on rice.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the airdefense around DC and everything, But I have also been thinking.

Wouldn't it be a terrible terrorist act to force us to shoot down one of our own passenger jets. I mean specifically if they attempted a hijacking specifically thinking we would shoot it down. Seems like that would be a win/win for the terrorist. Hey Washington boys, wanna speed up getting some guns in those cockpits????

Another consideration--what's a stinger missile going to do to an airliner bearing down on it at four bills? You'll knock off an engine. Even if the stinger wasn't heat seeking and did have a warhead weighing more than a grapefruit, the momentum of what you hit would still carry it right on top of you.
I'd like to think if there are any eggs placed in the missile defense basket, there's something besides stingers sitting on the hill.

Latest resources

Back