Military physical = FAA Medical?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

I heard rumors a while back of the FAA honoring a current military medical equating to a Class II or III med certificate.

Anyone heard anything or know anything about it?

Some of the mil Flt Docs are FAA certified and can sign you off for an FAA Class II or III. I know the flt doc I had doing mine said he had to do so many FA physicals a year or he'd be de-certified. So anytime I got my AF physical, he gave me a FAA Class II for free!

Hope that helps.

Part 61 Notice to Proposed Rule making listed a proposal to not require Military pilots to get an FAA medical if they hold a current Military Flight Physical.

However this would not apply to Part 121, 125, 135 Operations.

This proposal is most likely still in the works, along with the proposal to let Military IP's get their FAA CFI's Automatically.

Not sure about the current status.

Which is bogus considering my Mil Flight Physical is 20X more detail oriented then my Class 1 FAA.

Which is bogus considering my Mil Flight Physical is 20X more detail oriented then my Class 1 FAA.

Agreed, I just want to be able to go rent something to smash bugs on the weekends. Would like to avoid another doctor and paying for a phys.

Word of advice.

You should have a family physician, FAA doctor and military flight surgeon and never shall the three meet. The last thing you want is some bogus minor medical issue from your FAA doctor screwing up your military career. Keep the family doctor for major events.

Word of advice.

You should have a family physician, FAA doctor and military flight surgeon and never shall the three meet. The last thing you want is some bogus minor medical issue from your FAA doctor screwing up your military career. Keep the family doctor for major events.

GOOD advice!

Not sure about the current status.
The NPRM will become effective on 10 Sept 08, according to the FAA guy in DC that is running this. I don't know what the wording is for the medical stuff, but I did ask him specifically about the change to make it easier for a military IP to get their CFI. He said that former IP's would also be allowed to take advantage of the change.

FYI: if anyone wants to argue about the merits of this CFI change, there's another thread in the Training & Instruction area that would be more appropriate than this thread.

Latest resources

Back