• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midair @ CDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Could you define circus atmosphere. I certainly do not agree. Regardless, God bless the two pilots that died.

"It was approaching Runway 22 the same time as a Piper coming in for a landing from the southwest."

They meet on right crosswind? It was overcast and dark, maybe they shoulda announced positions better?

Circus = the pattern on any VFR weekend at caldwell. Throw in "the shaft" on tower and you've got an accident waiting to happen.

It was night at the time of the accident and the tower was in operation.

The idea that a "circus" atmosphere had anything to do with the accident is a stretch. You have no idea how many planes were in the pattern, what caused the accident, or even if it was pilot or controller error. A circus atmosphere and what killed those two pilots should not be speculated on here. Lets wait for the accident report

The atmosphere at CDW on a weekend is no different than most other busy airports where a large amount of training and other activities take place. I merely state that to point out that it's not like CDW has some sort of special "problem" that other fields don't. I think you equate "circus" with a large number of planes in the pattern on weekend day. I agree that it is surprising that more accidents in general do not happen at busy fields or even cross-country. Some other fields would make the activity at CDW on a weekend pale in comparison. Then again, I am amazed that more accidents don't happen on the highway...

This is the first mid-air at CDW in at least 12 years. There have been two at Lincoln Park over that time frame that I know of. I didn't look through the safety record beyond that. This is also one of the few fatalities at CDW over a very large time frame.

Don't give the anti-airport/aviation people in the area ammunition by implying that some sort of problem at the airport caused this since we don't know.

Vj, what do you mean by "shaft"?

I learned to fly at Caldwell and I agree, that place is a zoo on weekends. There were countless times that I was number six on final...just on final, that does not count the planes in the rest of the pattern. I've flight instructed all around the country and I still have to say that that is the busiest non-airline airport of the country. Just because the airport has a tower doesn't mean a thing if the majority of the people who fly there are mostly low time or student pilots flying VFR. The tower dosen't provide any seperation. It is suprising that more planes don't collide there.

As far as the accident, the tower in operation answers questions like the previous post concerning position announcments vs. sequencing. It is interesting that most non-pilots think the tower handles separation of all traffic. I remember when the mid-air incidents happened at Lincoln Park, residents complained that it should have a tower to separate the traffic. I've even read in the local paper that CDW should have a net at the end of the runway to catch the planes in case they can't stop in time - fine with me I suppose :) This was all prior to the renovations at the field. The anti-airport folks were out in force then.

I can't remember having 6 in front of me on final. I have had 3 or 4 once and a while but I don't doubt that it happens. I'd be interest to know where you instructed digger because you raise some interesting points. I've heard and seen much large stats for other airports in Florida and out West and worse accident rates.

Does anyone know what the limit is on planes in the pattern? I've seen the tower stop T&Gs after about 8 to 10 planes in the pattern.

Anyway, the accident is not related to the circus discussion here for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back