Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cl65

Hello.

Did anyone fly on wednesday and see any bright light?

In the past, planes flying had close encounters with meteorites.

Here is the link

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/04/meteorite-hunters-heading-to-wisconsin-today.html

Following a fireball that lit up the night sky and a sonic boom that rattled houses over a large swath of the Midwest on Wednesday night, another phenomenon is arriving in southwestern Wisconsin: meteorite hunters.

Paul Sipiera, adjunct curator of the Field Museum's Pritzker Center for Meteoritics and Polar Studies, plans to lead a team of four investigators to Grant County today, and other meteorite hunters are expected to descend on the area too.

"What we will try to do is coordinate eyewitnesses who saw the fireball and pinpoint its trajectory, then get word out to farmers to get them to be on the lookout for strange rocks," said Sipiera, whose Planetary Studies Foundation, based in Galena, Ill., buys meteorites for the Field Museum collection.
By Thursday night, no discovery of meteor fragments had been reported, but if they are found, far more meteorite hunters will likely pour into the area, Sipiera said. Luckily, he said, it is plowing time, and if larger meteorites buried themselves as they fell into fields, they will be exposed with plowing.

Sipiera's wife, Diane, screening calls to the foundation on Thursday from potential hunters, said she heard from people as far away as England.

"I would guess there are meteorite hunters and dealers boarding airplanes all over the country this morning, heading for Wisconsin," said Mark Hammergren, an Adler Planetarium astronomer who studies asteroids, the primitive small planetoids from which most meteors originate.

A meteorite is a surviving fragment of a disintegrating, fiery meteor as it plunges from outer space through the Earth's atmosphere. Because they are primitive pieces of the early days of the 4.5-million-year-old solar system, they are prized by scientists and collectors. Hundreds of meteorite fragments landing in south suburban Park Forest in 2003 were worth an estimated $500,000.

Wednesday's fireball dramatically burst across the sky over parts of Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin shortly after 10 p.m.

In northwest suburban Woodstock, the flash of light out Christine McMorris' kitchen window put to shame all the shooting stars she had seen in the West. On a farm outside downstate Dixon, Becky Hoffman thought it was a transformer blowing up. In Iowa, state Trooper Tim Beckman at first thought it was lightning, except then it roared across the sky.

"It has the appearance that is completely consistent with being a meteor," said Hammergren, though it will take finding fragments of it on the ground to prove it.

Luckily, the suspected meteor's path was captured by Doppler radar at weather stations in the Quad Cities and La Crosse, Wis. Hammergren and others analyzing the evidence said it deposited fragments on the ground. The consensus is that fragments probably landed somewhere near Livingston, Wis., a village of about 600 people in eastern Grant County.

Hunting for meteorites became more widely known from a reality television series begun last year on the Science Channel, "Meteorite Men." One of its two stars, Arkansas meteorite hunter Steve Arnold, said he was intrigued by the Wisconsin fireball, though he and his partner on the show, Geoff Notkin, are scheduled to be at a New York astronomy and telescope convention this weekend.

Last edited:
That was not actually a meteorite-it was just me drop-kicking GenLee's sorry butt across a couple of states.

-Sorry for the confusion.

I was in Lake Delton Wisconsin on the ground and we are in a campground on and off for the spring/summer. I went to lay down in our add-a-room Wednesday evening (beautiful sleeping temps) at about 10pm. I was looking out the windows (Western exposure) and about 1005 seen what appeared to be bright Red & White flashing lights through the pine trees and moving very rapidly. I didnt look like it was that high in the sky either. It was moving rapidly from North to South. It then turned BRIGHT glowing Green (lite up the whole area) and is about the time I started yelling for my wife who was in the other room to come look. By the time she seen it the Green glow went into Bight Yellow/Red and then disappeared off in the horizon. My wife said when she seen it from a different part of the house it appeared to be breaking up into pieces in the Yellow stages. I was surprised there was no sonic boom at all. The whole event lasted about 10 seconds tops. I have never seen anything as brilliant or as close as this was................Truly Spectacular!

Not to be too picky but as a point of interest -

A meteorite is a rock on the ground.

A meteor is the falling object we see in the sky.

A meteoroid is the piece of space rock as it floats around in space.

So a meteoroid enters the atmosphere and becomes a meteor. Should it make it through the atmosphere and land on the earth, it becomes a meteorite.

So airplanes have nothing to worry about meteorites, it's the meteors that will get ya!!

That was not actually a meteorite-it was just me drop-kicking GenLee's sorry butt across a couple of states.

-Sorry for the confusion.

Hmm, I heard it was Dennis Kucinich returning from vacation. I guess he only missed Ohio by a small distance in astronomical terms.

Not to be too picky but as a point of interest -

A meteorite is a rock on the ground.

A meteor is the falling object we see in the sky.

A meteoroid is the piece of space rock as it floats around in space.

So a meteoroid enters the atmosphere and becomes a meteor. Should it make it through the atmosphere and land on the earth, it becomes a meteorite.

So airplanes have nothing to worry about meteorites, it's the meteors that will get ya!!

Not too be too picky, but I think one of these could be in your near future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5_867RYFEY

Latest resources

Back