Mesa/San Juan??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ChadCRJ

Hey just wondering if their is anyone out there that knows some info on the Mesa flight training program. Here are some questions I have-

How long does it take to complete your AS degree at San Juan?

Do you start your degree and flight training right from the beginning? Degree first then flight training?? Or what?

And finally are the Mesa grads. of this program getting hired into the Mesa air group for one of there regional airlines as a first officer with only 300 hours?

Any information on this school is much appreciated. Thanks

Chad

Hi Chad,

Just give them a call at 1-800-232-6327 and you can talk to someone who can answer all your questions, and they'll send you a packet of information on the program. You talk to real people, too, not someone in marketing. I think current students answer the phones.

For your immediate questions, I'll tell you what I know. I talked with them several times in the past two weeks. The ab initio program which gives you a two year associates degree, about 300-350 hours of flight time, your CIME licenses and ratings, and a guaranteed interview with the Mesa group is a five semester program that takes about 19 months. The syllabus that they sent for the program shows you flying from the beginning and throughout the program.

When I asked about the hire rate of Mesa grads, the guy I talked to said the historical hire rate is 96-97% for those getting the interview. The rest of the story with that is that right now, there are about 40 people waiting for interviews. He said that the number of interview dates is starting to pick up again and all these people should have interview dates, "soon". You should call them and see what you think. It still sounds like a good program. My only concern is completing the program with only 300-350 hours, which will not get you anywhere outside of Mesa.

Good luck!

thanks

I did get the information packet and it did answer some questions. The only negative thing that I have seen so far is that I will be goin in with a private license. And if I do decide to goto Mesa I will have to repeat it but just not have to retake the FAA checkride. Thats been really the only negative about this school so far. You know you also have to keep atleast a 3.0 GPA to get an interview right?

Chad

Yeah, I knew about the 3.0 average, but that's something I feel that I have complete control over, by studying hard, etc., and so I don't see it as a problem.

You're right about having to take the private part of the program even if you already have a license, but I understood that it's so you learn things the "Mesa" way. They'll take graduates with so few hours, because they have designed the program so that the graduates are well versed in how Mesa does things. If you skip part of the program, you will not have this background.

If you really don't want to take the private part of the program, you may want to consider their PACE program instead. You will need your CIME and 300 hours total to enter it. But then it's only a 20 week program that indoctrinates you into Mesa. At the end of it you have the same guaranteed interview as the ab inition graduates. I've heard it's a tough program and requires excellent instrument skills going in. This is the program that I'm actually considering so that I'm only out of work for 20+ weeks, rather than 19+ months.

MAPD

I was an instructor at MAPD during 1993. You do have to maintain a 3.0 to get "the interview." You also have to keep up with the program and mind all of your Ps and Qs to get "the interview."

Theoretically, if you have a Private and enroll in MAPD, you can challenge the Private portion of the course. However, I am sure that few people challenge it successfully. Probably, as Carlos said, because you absolutely, positively have to train or re-train yourself into the Mesa way. Notwithstanding the fact that one thing Mesa does well is generate revenue, so forcing you to take the entire program is another Mesa ploy to make money.

It does take about eighteen months to finish the program, complete with the A.S. in Aviation Technology from San Juan. Most of the students I knew already had a degree or some college, and were not attending San Juan full time. I would recommend that course of action. Flying at Mesa and going to school full time is a big load.

One thing about MAPD is it works. You are monitored closely from start to finish. Problem students are identified early and certain of them will be allowed to finish but will not get "the interview." Once more, if you mind all your Ps and Qs and stay with the program, you'll get "the interview." In the meantime, you will be indoctrinated thoroughly in Mesa line procedures and even have ten hours of Beech 1900 time in your logbook. When I was there, they even gave MAPD students a 135 checkride, but that was in the old days of 1993 when Mesa could operate its 1900s under 135. In any event, you will go to class virtually line-ready. However, be aware that class can be a horse of a different color compared to school. Despite their Mesa line indoctrination, I've heard of MAPD grads who've been washed out in favor of more experienced street hires.

Hope that helps some more. Here's a link to MAPD. This link is to San Juan College . Scroll down to find the syllabus for the Aviation Technology program. Also, you might try calling Charlie Houghton at San Juan at (505) 326-3311
for more information.

You might think about reading the tread about mesa and whats going on with hiring. I would suggest that you do all your homework on Mesa and just make sure that this is the best choice for you. Remember what if mesas not hiring or you wash out of training? You have 300 tt and no real experience to market yourself. I'm not saying it's a bad school, but alot hings on getting hired right out of school, because if you don't, what are your options?

Try checking out the threads under the "Regional" heading under the interviews section.

Just my 7 cents worth

Mesa

That's absolutely true. I've asked time and time again for stories about (good) MAPD people who aren't hired and how they've fared. There is no guarantee that any MAPD grad will be interviewed. All Mesa promises is the possibility of an interview.

Another point is the Freedom Air situation. Freedom Air is non-union. Being hired there directly from MAPD may not be the best thing for a lot of people.

I went through the San Juan Ab-initio program back in 95-97, and have been at Mesa ever since. If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

wheetbix

Latest resources

Back