Mesa may file bankruptcy protection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASA_DFW

NEW YORK, May 22 (Reuters) - Mesa Air Group Inc (MESA.O: Quote, Profile, Research), which provides regional flights for major airlines, said on Thursday it might be forced to file for bankruptcy protection if it loses a legal fight with Delta Air Lines Inc (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research).
If it files for bankruptcy, Mesa would be the eighth airline to seek Chapter 11 protection or close down operations in the past five months, following Frontier Airlines Holdings Inc FRNTQ.PK, Skybus Airlines Inc, ATA Airlines and others, as they grapple with record fuel prices.

Mesa, which operates regional flights for Delta, UAL Corp's (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research) United Airlines and US Airways (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research), has been in dispute with Delta since March, when Delta told Mesa that it planned to terminate their partnership, accusing Mesa of failing to complete a specified number of flights.
Mesa denies that allegation, and in April it sued Delta, saying the airline had breached their agreement.

Earlier this month, Mesa filed a motion in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia to prevent Delta from terminating the agreement. A court hearing is set for May 27-29, and Mesa said it expects a ruling when that is completed.
In a regulatory filing early on Thursday, Mesa warned that if it loses the case, and Delta ends the agreement -- worth about $20 million a month to Mesa -- then it might file for bankruptcy.
That lost revenue, and about $250 million to $300 million in labor, leasing and other costs over the next four years, would cause Mesa to default on lease agreements, the company said, which would seriously affect its operations and finances.
"In such event, the company's financial condition would require that the company seek protection under applicable U.S. reorganization laws in order to avoid or delay actions by its lessors, creditors and code-share partners," Mesa said in its filing.

The airline, which is already struggling to shore up its finances by issuing shares to buy back debt, closed its Air Midwest unit earlier this month.
Other airlines that have filed for bankruptcy or shut down recently are Eos Airlines, Champion Air, Aloha Airlines and MAXjet Airways Inc. (Reporting by Bill Rigby; editing by John Wallace)

BEST NEWS EVER.....Oh, and MESA SUCKS!

It's time for anyone (not just the pilots) at Mesa to grab the handles and pull.... EJECT EJECT EJECT!

Not directed at MAG pilots, but J.O. and other ceo's and airlines that run this bad, pay this little, care this little for the front line workers, are this unethical and just generally this rotten (9E,pt and his cronies) just should not stay in buisiness.

Morrons running a ship in this way have to see that it just is not a long term, viable way to run a buisiness. There has to be mutual respect.

This would also help take some of the excess capacity out of the market. Kill two birds with one ceo. Good ridance J.O. Take P.T. with you. Scum bags both.

I really hope the Mesa guys are getting the hell outta there as quickly as they can find something. Run like hell!

MESA SUCKS!

My money is on Mesa leaving the industry by the end of the year.

Good news for the industry, but bad news for the pilots. Good luck to all MAG pilots.

He only gave the bottom 400 pilots WARN notices and not the whole company. We are still experiencing high attrition. 30 - 40 or so per month. Won’t take long and we will be right back to where we are now. Even with the fast upgrade at Mesa there are many airlines that are hiring large numbers of pilots that don’t meet the ATP minimums. They will have to be bypassed when their # comes up for upgrade and the low upgrade times at many regional’s will continue for a while in my opinion. I am concerned about my fellow pilots but for me at 300 Turbine PIC and 4 years on property I am certain that I can get back to a comparable position to where I am now if I make F.O. in this whole ordeal. I don’t think that I will though. Also this will accelerate attrition along with no vacations for CRJ pilots in nearly a year. We could use some extra pilots on the CRJ right now. On the ERJ rosters we only have 253 pilots. In Jan. – April we lost 122 pilots due to attrition. Considering that it takes about 3 months to train a pilot on a new certificate, new equipment, and IOE etc. It is hard for me to imagine furloghes. That being said I do have a copy of my ID and LES just incase I have to get home on the 30th. Resume is ready to go.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back