Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JOPILOT

JP
Just curious if anyone has been hired by Delta ( or another comparable major SWA, UAL, or even FEDEx or UPS ) and what they have in regards to a new hire medical hearing exam? In addition to what is done at first class medical do they give you an electronic hearing test before you can procede in a class?
Appreciate any input, JP

I am almost 100% sure that SWA does not require any medical testing. If you have a first class medical you should be good.

Bake

At USAirways pre-employment physical, they conducted an auditory test with the headphones and the button deal.

But you can go ahead and strike them off your list for a few years, sorry to say. We may all be wearing hearing aids before they hire again.

I'll second Bake for SWA. As far as any others go, I'm sure they'll chime in here.

I think the most practical hearing test for airline pilots anyway would just be to hand them a cell phone in the crew room going "Can you hear me now? How 'bout now? OK, how about now?"

I'm not sure if you have a first class medical or not, but the hearing portion usually consists of an old partially deaf AME saying "ONE, TWO, THREE; ok, cover your other ear; FOUR, FIVE, SIX" from a few feet away, having checked on the form that your hearing is fine before he even starts talking to ya. So I wouldn't sweat the FAA medical too much.

Ask around, and find out where the airline pilots in your area go for theirs. That's where you want to go. Also you can do a web search on FAA doctors (try avweb.com) and it should list whether they're set up for first class medicals. And look to see if the guy is also a pilot. Those are the ones you want. It's important to know if your healthy, of course, but it's also important to keep flying without some over-zealous Doc trying to ground you in a mound of paper-work forever either.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure that you cannot be denied employment if you qualify for a first class medical. That doesn't mean that just because you have a first class you are good, but rather that you meet the health requirements prescribed for a first-class medical.

Some airlines still do the astronaut physical,, especially AA. I must admit they cut out many of the items they did 5 or 6 years ago. With the passage of the AWDA they cant really not hire you if you can obtain a first class medical. Last year I failed the blood pressure portion and was then required to submit a letter from my DR. and 3 normal readings. It is not uncommon to hear storieslike this or people who have to go see an optometrist or something.

My physical with UAL was comaprable to the phyiscal I took for the Navy. For the hearing test, I was placed in a booth with a set of headphones and a button to push...Hear the tone and push the button.

Hammer

Latest resources

Back