Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical certificate and droping the pants....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gear goes down

Ok, so I went to get my medical certificate renewed the other day. I went to a new doctor, because I just recently moved to this area. Everything was the usual, until he told me to drop my pants and shorts. I was kind of stunned as asked him to repeat what he just said and I herd correctly. So I drop my pants and the Dr wants me to take off my underwear. So I did. Next he tells my to lay down on the table with my legs dangling off of the end…..He’s the doc, so I did. After that he starts rubbing my testacies for little while…..He told me he was checking for tumors. Then does the coughing thing.

Anyways my question is, has anyone ever had that done to them? I have never had to drop my paints for a medical certificate. It all sounds kind of strange.

It has been normal as long as I have been taking physicals. cough, figure wave, etc.

I'ne never had to bend over and cough for an AME. I'm in and out in 5 minutes or less with the all-important piece of paper.

Find another AME.

One of the guys I fly with had Prostate Cancer discovered during the finger wave by the AME.

I can't say how "normal" that is, but in my 15 times to get a medical (15 years) I've never once had to drop my pants.

It depends on the doctor.

My first flight physical was in 1980 as a Corporal in the Marine Corps; I was on my way to Officer Candidate School. The doctor was a quite stunning female Lieutenant Commander in the Navy. I had to do the fondle (I wish) and cough thing with her. Talk about embarrassing!

Since then, every flight physical entailed at least the drop trow and cough maneuver.

After 45, my AME started doing the digital prostate checks. He's a Colonel in the TN National Guard. He says he didn't used to perform that check on people less than 50; he changed his tune after a thirty-something pilot in his unit died from aggressive bout of prostate cancer.

Uncomfortable as it is, I'd rather have his finger up there once a year than risk dying from a cancer that would have been diagnosed early if my homophobia wasn't elevated.

Just re-newed my 1st class day before yesterday.

Total time in the office - 20 minutes.
Total time in the "exam" - 5 minutes...including typing up the certificate.

Can't say I've had the "cough" or "poke" tests...from an AME.

That's what I pay my family physician the big bucks for.

-mini

Dooizer, I guess it is a military thing. There is no such thing as privacy, and such things as the doc asking you to drop your drawers is not a big deal.

Latest resources

Back