md-80, dc-9

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

Do they steer on the ground with the wheel to the captains left? or is this something else? Just wondered thanks

Do they steer on the ground with the wheel to the captains left? or is this something else? Just wondered thanks

Tiller (on the left) or good old rudder, brakes and THRUST.

Wheel gives you 82 degrees with both hydraulics on, and rudder 17 degrees. And the answer to your next question is, " 9 times the square root of the tire pressure. "

Wheel gives you 82 degrees with both hydraulics on, and rudder 17 degrees. And the answer to your next question is, " 9 times the square root of the tire pressure. "

Although the "cornering angle" of a tire is not a function of its hydroplaning speed. :)

So what kind of max cornering G does the MD-80 throw down on the skidpad? Is there any tendency to oversteer or understeer?

So what kind of max cornering G does the MD-80 throw down on the skidpad? Is there any tendency to oversteer or understeer?
I think you are mixing some automotive concepts in here. I do not think that works. The weight distribution is different. The main landing gear carries most of the weight in most airplanes. The point at which the nosewheel(s) start to scuff and fail to track a turn would be hard to predict. Even on a hard dry surface they will begin to slip at rather low speeds as the cornering angle is increased if the turn is commanded with nosewheel steering alone. The "G" force would be nil. On contaminated surfaces the cornering angle would be close to nil also, the wheels will just slide.
There is no oversteer or understeer that I have ever noticed. The nosewheel steering response on the DC-9/-80 seems to be linear, unlike the "steer by wire" on the A-320 which changes sensitivity as you increase the turn command.
DC

Donsa--I think he was joking because no one here knows what you said in your previous post... ;) TC

P.S.--That goes for you, too, Diesel-9! :D

I've probably gotten around .80 coming off a high-speed. It's pretty neutral but it does have the tendency to break loose at the limit with little warning. God help you if you get one of those European high-speeds with a decreasing radius turn!

It's not like a 911 where if you stay on the power, you can hold it. When an 80 goes, you're a passenger! ;) TC

I've probably gotten around .80 coming off a high-speed. It's pretty neutral but it does have the tendency to break loose at the limit with little warning. God help you if you get one of those European high-speeds with a decreasing radius turn!

It's not like a 911 where if you stay on the power, you can hold it. When an 80 goes, you're a passenger! ;) TC

You guys are confusing me, are we talking 717 or DC9?, because I am sure we got 0.989 one time on 717.

:)

Latest resources

Back