• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SoundBarViolatr

Yankee Air Pirate
Scenario:

A prospective Academy student pilot uncovers a 1st stage AV block during a Physical Exam ECG. Are there any complications or delays on issuing out this Airman's Class 3 Medical certificate? How about a class 1 or 2 later on in his career?

Thanks fellas.

Last edited:
I don't know what a AV Block (anterior ventrical/vein or something?) but if it's enough to give an irregular ECG then my hunch is that this will be a complicating issue with the FAA. Anything unusual, this included I bet, is sent to OK City for review. He should plan on getting his medical records together and finding an experienced AME who will go the distance with him. I know someone is his 50's who went through this and he was given his 2nd class medical back but is required to submit documentation from his cardiologist every year.

SoundBarViolatr said:
Scenario:

A prospective Academy student pilot uncovers a 1st stage AV block during a Physical Exam ECG. Are there any complications or delays on issuing out this Airman's Class 3 Medical certificate? How about a class 1 or 2 later on in his career?

Thanks fellas.

I am not a doctor, but a pilot with history of heart disease. AV block is a slowing of the electrical signals in the heart. A common cause of a 1st stage AV block is good conditioning. I suppose it could cause a small delay in initially issuing a medical but I doubt that it is a disqualifying condition (it's not coronary artery disease or a significant arrythmia). The worst I would imagine is that the pilot will need a cardiologist's letter at each renewal. I'll bet that the regional flight surgeon can handle this, not OKC, if not the AME himself/herself.

Still, I am not a doctor, so the best bet is to check with an AME, or with AOPA.

Latest resources

Back