March Classes FedEx????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FedEx

I talked to K.D. yesterday and she said it doesn't look like there will be any classes in March. Maybe April or May???

Fedex,
Did KD say why or what the hold up is?

RAT F@RTS!!!

Say it ain't so! I was looking forward to a phone call in a few days! I think I'm going to need more sunscreen; the chlorine is starting to take its toll...:mad: :( :confused:

I spoke with KD this morning and she said no class until later this year. From the sounds of her voice, April or May sounded optimistic. Hope it's not true and they start sooner than that or I'll need someone to throw me a life preserver.

backflip

Guessing, but...

Folks,

Our lines are being cut and more guys are on reserve then I can remember. Domestic loads are essentially flat plus there is the usual seasonal slowdown after peak. The DC10 and 727 fleets are shrinking (albeit slowly). Reserve pilots in the 727 are being paid contractual minimum and front seat guys (not sure about S/O's) aren't being utilized more than a few times a month. It's not unusual for a 727 Captain sitting PM reserve to only be used 4-6 times a month and some of those will be non-flying standby assignments.

Bottom line is that I don't think our current manning program indicates the need for newhire pilots right now. The MD11 continues to be the 'darling' of the airline and is shorthanded in all bases, but they won't put newhires into the MadDog. With that in mind the newhire picture might improve if there's another training bid and the MD11 crewing picture gets clearer, especially with regard to the LAX base.

Maybe another factor are the higher numbers of over-60 guys electing to stay in the back of the 10/727. The market has destroyed the value of 401K and B fund balances. So the 'expected' retirement numbers may in fact be lower than originally anticipated.

Sorry I can't paint a better picture, but this is how it seems on the inside. Maybe a MadDog or a Bus guy has a different perspective.

oof, what a kick in the family jewels. the hits just keep on comin'. hopefully more of the over 60 bunch will look to enjoy their lives and not sit sideways. at least FEX reported another dividend today. let's hope for some summertime hiring parties in MEM.

h

Just my $.02, but as a professional coffee server I'm seeing quite a bit of reserve flying in the back seat of the "Boeing" during the last few months. Some of it may be the time of year and reserve/guard activations, but it does seem like there is room for more back here. I think the major factor affecting this economy and industry (and perhaps FedEx hiring) is the pending war. It seems like no one is willing to risk spending until the war is behind us. The longer we wait to start, the longer fuel prices will stay high, companies won't invest, the economy won't grow...

Poolies, hang in there, it is worth the wait. A seat bid in the next few months will hopefully result in enough movement to encourage more hiring.

From my uninformed perspective (wrench turner in the 10), I do not think the age 60 guys going to the back is a big factor. I just looked at the training letters for the DC-10 and the 727 S/O seats and it looks like 10 for the DC-10 and 2 for the 727 scheduled for the year right now.
The DC-10 lines are definitely shrinking, the flying is going to the MD-11. from what I have heard the 727 is losing flying to the Airbus as those markets increase their load. The Boeing did add a new city this month (Laredo, TX?), but generally I think they too are losing lines.
On reserve last month I flew over 75%, but so far this month it has been slow.

Sitting R-24 on the -27 panel - 42 levelling hours in the last 9 days....

Latest resources

Back