Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Malaysian 777 enroute to Beijing missing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And being on CNN he took the chance to really dress up in his Canadian tuxedo! Hope that can be our uniforms soon :)

Good stuff
I thought that's how it worked

So the down payment is $5k but eventually they'll all get $174k
Am I reading this correct?

That's the way I read it as well. They'll be held liable for that amount per pax.
If/when they find the wreckage, we'll be certain to see a much larger figure.

What about the ELT's?

Well the scenario certainly seems plausible. If they made the turn and were then incapacitated and the aircraft flew until fuel exhaustion, assuming the 6 hour duration is correct before running out of fuel, that's roughly in the 3,000 mile range. And if the aircraft was in heading mode, that would mean the track over the ocean would vary with the changing winds.

So if the aircraft flew around 3,000 miles, that puts it somewhere in the middle of the ocean. If the plane went down intact, for the most part, and the ELT's went off, and the plane sunk to the bottom (How deep is it there?) Would the ELT's even be able to be picked up without being right on top of the wreckage? I don't know the answers to these questions, but I'm sure someone does...

I'm thinking an ELT going off a mile or two underwater may be hard to detect from anything other than a very close proximity to the plane...

And as far as the crew turning on the ELT inflight, if they were indeed fighting a scenario that quickly incapacitated them, I would think their primary concern would be to get the plane on the ground. I have to admit, if the cockpit was filling up with toxic fumes and burning, I would be focusing on the closest airport, turning on the ELT would probably never enter my mind. Surely they didn't think they were going to be lost, they were probably thinking "lets land, and we will know where we are..." Just my .02 cents...

When they made the turn there was an airport with a 13000 foot airport on an island near their flight path. Pulau Lingkawi airport. Look at it on Google earth. I think they were turning for this airport... We're overcome with either smoke or hypoxia.

Last edited:
Omg Captain, massive amounts of smoke and toxic fumes are present. F turning towards the closest airport to land, lets turn on the ELT!... Yeah, whatever...

My apologies! I wasn't aware that the mystery was solved. Good to know that the plane will fly for 6-8hrs with an inflight fire on board. I'll have to inform our training department. They keep spouting this 12-17 minute nonsense.

Why the hostility to letting someone know you are in trouble? I want SAR scrambling NOW!

Regards,
Fr8doggie

For all we know, turning on the ELT was the first thing they did. No better than the locals apparently are at SAR, not sure it would have helped much.

They were darn sure on their own.

My apologies! I wasn't aware that the mystery was solved. Good to know that the plane will fly for 6-8hrs with an inflight fire on board. I'll have to inform our training department. They keep spouting this 12-17 minute nonsense.

Why the hostility to letting someone know you are in trouble? I want SAR scrambling NOW!

Regards,
Fr8doggie

The fact that the good night call didnt have any signs of stress in it whatsoever,and the turn was seconds, and possibly even during the turn to the west is concerning.

Latest resources

Back