Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Malaysian 777 enroute to Beijing missing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's an end to the magenta line???? Does scheduling know about this?
Common misunderstanding between "discontinuity" and "disconnect." Magenta line is interrupted by a discontinuity, while my call to scheduling is interrupted with a disconnect. In both cases I have to go into the self-help mode.

They had an emergency, set a course for the diversion field, were incapacitated enroute. Plane got to the end of the magenta line and it went out of LNAV into heading, got to the TOD and without resetting MCP altitude and it went out of VNAV into ALT HLD. Flew until fuel ran out. It wasn't the pilots' fault. My guess. Good as anyone else's.

That's a pretty good guess. Close to what I am thinking. And to anybody all upset about speculating, it's getting to the point if they don't find more than a few scraps floating, that there will have to be some guessing on what happened so we can TRY to learn something from all this. Remember, after a airframe loss like this the airline industry asks itself: "What can we do to not have this happen again?"

I think a lot of the company training centers will concentrate of cabin pressure loss procedures. Maybe more hijacking stuff. We gotta try to learn from this, even if we don't know a whole lot about the details.

Remember, after a airframe loss like this the airline industry asks itself: "What can we do to not have this happen again?"
They also ask, "where's the liability for this?" For this reason alone I think they will not stop looking for it. Boeing wants to prove it wasn't equipment, Malaysia wants to prove it wasn't their procedures, others want to prove it wasn't the pilots.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good guess. Close to what I am thinking. And to anybody all upset about speculating, it's getting to the point if they don't find more than a few scraps floating, that there will have to be some guessing on what happened so we can TRY to learn something from all this. Remember, after a airframe loss like this the airline industry asks itself: "What can we do to not have this happen again?"

I think a lot of the company training centers will concentrate of cabin pressure loss procedures. Maybe more hijacking stuff. We gotta try to learn from this, even if we don't know a whole lot about the details.

Slippery slope Glasspilot. I think we should try to learn from this after the facts are known. Running around applying solutions to "assumed" problems does not necessarily help. Lithium batteries? Hijack? Incapacitation? Pilot suicide? We just don't know but trying to put a fix on this situation without the facts could be pretty broad!

ELT's only work if there's anything left of an ELT to work.

Can SWA planes activate the ELT inflight? All FDX aircraft are so equipped. I thought it was a regulatory requirement. How about other carriers?

Regards,
Fr8doggie

Some of the newer planes have a beacon that you can take with you. ETOPS planes maybe? It floats and you can turn it on manually or it turns on automatically when it his the water. The actual aircraft ELT can't be turned on that I know of.

Latest resources

Back